Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New technology to kill Sony's PS3

New technology to kill Sony's PS3

I was watching Attack of the Show on G4 and they were talking about Sony's new PS3 not letting you play "borrowed" "rented" or "used" games. It's bad enough they have the price at $600 but now this. What is Sony thinking?
    the prince of all saiyans will not fall again!

linky?

sorry Mr. Mad no link for it. It was on tonight's episode of Attack of the Show on G4 TV
    the prince of all saiyans will not fall again!

Darn. Well if it is true, then I guess I'll be spending that hard earned $600 for either Wii games or new computer components.

If only some rumors would die and stay decently dead...

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060526-6929.html

Honestly that's got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard... how would the system know that the game has been played in another system? Maybe by writing to the game disc? But then that would imply that the PS3 would have Bluray RW capabilites and that the game discs would be unlocked. And even if it did, that would have a major impact in sales, and Sony knows it and would never do anything like that.
    Athlon 64 X2-3800 @2400MHz
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    GeForce 6800 GT @ 410/1100
    2048MB OCZ DDR550 2-3-3-8
    120gb Seagate / 160GB Seagate HDDs
    480W Enermax Whisper II
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Gamer

bah who cares, I never rented games anyways. However that doesn't really make sense to me...why supply the video stores with ps3 game when you can't even play them?

The ps3 will dominate in the end. The standalone bluray compatibility kicks major ***.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil2k3
    bah who cares, I never rented games anyways. However that doesn't really make sense to me...why supply the video stores with ps3 game when you can't even play them?

The ps3 will dominate in the end. The standalone bluray compatibility kicks major ***.
    So you never bought a game from eBay? or from someone for cheaper? Bluray kicks ***? How so? if anyone went and bought a system that will not allow you to do what Chris Posted, (know pun intended) would be a stupid purchase simple as that.

I buy most of my PS2 games from ebay.

I don't use ebay. I buy all my games brandnew, so the above doesn't really affect me. Bluray disk players cost (in the moment) over $1000, and the premium edition ps3 will cost $600, so I personally think that's a pretty good purchase. Plus a 60 gig HD is included. You can also view digi cam pics, browse the internet, and much much more. Just my side of things. Not that you all care anyways. I just think a machine so powerful is worth that kind of money. In reality, the price of that thing should be well over 1000$, but we are lucky to get it for a lot less.

I am poor

I buy a lot of games from ebay too. Especially if they're older games, like Greatest Hits, because you can get them for like $5 if you look around. Just gotta be careful about getting scratched discs, but usually if someone's a power seller (98% possitive feedback or higher) you can trust that the disc will work just fine.
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    480W Enermax Whisper II

I can View Digi cam pics on my 360 and I can browse the net with it, plus play dvd, and I will be able to play HD DVD at 1080P if I can a tv that power full and I have a 20GIG drive plus an 80GIG for extra storage, it only cost me $399, blue ray is know diffrent than HD DVD besides it holding 20 GIG more.

Bluray is no different than HDDVD? Bluray is not limited to 25/50GB, it's estimated to hit as high as 200GB (100GB+ is already possible), while HDDVD is only estimated to hit 45GB. Eventually entire seasons of shows will be able to fit on a single Bluray disc, instead of 5-10 DVDs, or 2-3 HDDVDs, also very large games with very high textures will be possible on a single Bluray disc. It's true that HDDVD and Bluray have the same transfer speeds (36Mb/s), but the Bluray will also have higher write speeds than HDDVDs, making backup of large files faster. Also, you have to PAY EXTRA for the HDDVD addon for the Xbox 360. The PS3 will come STANDARD will Bluray. Also, the Xbox 360 does NOT have support for 1080p, only up to 1080i.
    I love how all of the people that own Xbox's say we're just Sony fanboys, when they're playing on a far inferior console and think they're just being "smart"
    Asus A8N Motherboard
    480W Enermax Whisper II

It does not have support for the 1080P thats without the HD DVD Player, it will cost 100 Bucks for a HD DVD players for the Xbox still leaving it umm what 100 + Bucks cheaper . I said I can watch Movies at 1080P and yes the Xbox will support it with the HD Dvd Player.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/b...on-s-division/

(Still with us? No? Blu-ray discs are more expensive, but hold more data - there, that's all.)