Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ads are getting out of control!!

You will, if asked by a representative of the Forums, cease posting any content, and/or links to content, deemed offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste by the staff of the Forums.

How is getting rid of ads "offensive, objectionable, or in poor taste"?

Whats offensive is getting ads that cover up what you are trying to read
    Whats objectionable is having blinking, flashing ads that distract the viewer from what they are actually trying to read
    Whats in poor taste is being told that discussing ad removal is not alowed

Now if I was talking about crack whores, I'd expect to get spanked by a MOD, but not for trying to help someone with a legitimate problem.
    Last edited by zybch; 07-09-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Some of it is lagging the site. Too bad, so sad.
    Most people think,
    Great God will come from the skies,
    Take away everything
    And make everybody feel high.
    But if you know what life is worth,
    You will look for yours on earth:
    And now you see the light,
    You stand up for your rights. jah!

Afraid this matter isn't open to debate. Ad blocking discussion is not permitted on the forum. The offending ad has been reported and will be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by JPnyc
    Afraid this matter isn't open to debate. Ad blocking discussion is not permitted on the forum. The offending ad has been reported and will be dealt with.

s'alright...

The ad is slowing the forum down, and it'll be taken care of. But if our advertisers (or my bosses) happen to check the forum and see we allow discussion of how to block the ads they're paying for, they'll pull em and there'll be no forums to worry about.

Just tell me then, which looks better and remember that the majority of the visible ads in the first pic are all flashing away like some epileptic fit inducing chameleon lizard on acid:

Advertisment 'supported'

Non Ad supported'

I'll give you a hint. ITS THE BOTTOM ONE!!

Using ******* (without the ********* updater) simply lets you manually block ads that you find offensive, like those flash based ones that look like strobe lights.

My sister has epilepsy and even those smallish flash ads cause her discomfort.
    Now, the IBM ad wasn't too bad (just BIG) but there are many sites she can't go to unless she wants to end up convulsing on the floor. If we lived in America I'd be looking for someone to sue...
    Last edited by zybch; 07-09-2006 at 09:02 PM.

I'm going to go play with me baseball cards for awhile...don't feel like watching this train wreck...

And which one will you actually see when it's not ad supported? I'll give you a hint, it's right below this text.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    About these crack whores ! .......... We are talking plural here right? ........ Might need a few as I keep breaking them ........... Makes a terrible mess of the duvet I can tell yas

Theres nothing wrong with nice unobtrusive ads like the ones the Google Adsense program uses, and they actually reflect what you're looking at like these ones from digg.com
    ALso, they don't flash, vibrate, make noises, or cover up the content you want to read.

But serving big ones that deliver the same ad to everybody regardless of the context of the site just doesn't make any financial sense (like ads for palmolive dishwashing liquid on TV during a arnie movie where stuff is getting blown up and ppl get steam-pipes stuck through them). Its about as untargeted as one can get!

Wouldn't it be better if JM got adverts for crack whores rather than personal hygene products? One would interest him and he'd probably click it, the other he has no concept of and would just ignore.
    Last edited by zybch; 07-09-2006 at 09:11 PM.

They're expressly targeted per forum. On some sites we've tried targeting them per sub-forum, but it wasn't any more successful than the current approach. This is a tech/hardware forum, so you see tech/hardware products, mostly. You don't see any car ads, or tv ads.

But ads for IBM business/corporate solutions when its highly unlikely that the demographic here has any need for such services?
    I know I'm nit picking, but ads just pee me off so f'ing much.
    I know they're neccessary sometimes (see this STORY, though they're wrong about adblocking stuff leaving blank spaces where the ads used to be) but theres still no excuse for the majority of them

Anyone got a spare puppy?
    Last edited by zybch; 07-09-2006 at 09:20 PM.

Complete & Utter Member j.m@talk's Avatar
    Woddabout CW ads......... They are allways fun to read .......

Blinkin' ignoring me posts ..... Grumble mumble mumble.... I'm off to surf pr0n