Thread: Side Window Fan .. better as exhuast or blowing in ?

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar

Side Window Fan .. better as exhuast or blowing in ?

Hi guys, I recently got a new exhaust fan for my pc's side window and I was wondering ... would it make a greater difference to my pc's temps if i have it blowing hot air out of the pc or blowing cool air into the pc ?

what do you guys think ?

what make/model is it? many side vents are for intake to feed cool air to the cpu.

just a led fan

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811999125

I guess it would probably be better blowing air out then eh ?

i meant what is the make and model of the CASE.

if the fan is right above the cpu then it would be an INTAKE.

side panel fans are always best as intake

that is how i keep my case cool to room temperature (average 20c to 25c)

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    side panel fans are always best as intake

that is how i keep my case cool to room temperature (average 20c to 25c)

thanks for the info , my case is an old one (Thermaltake Xaser II A6000A)

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/xaserc...ser2/6000a.htm

it looks like one of the old cheiftain cases

I'd go with intake on that side fan. Moves more air across the sound and video cards plus more to the cpu that way. I have one and my machine runs much cooler with it than without.

As we speak, i'm drilling a hole on the side window for my older cases that never had any on the side panel.

for both of my old upgraded PIII-1400 PC and PIII-1000 PC

the only old Mod case that i'm working on that does not need that much cooling is my old Full Tower case for my Dual P-233mmx

those ancient CPUs compared to now in days CPUs are never gonna reach that hot to need a side panel fan
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

I have tried it both ways and observed that it didn't make any difference to CPU temps. Some cases have a conduit that funnels air directly to the CPU area. I would imagine that this would reduce CPU temps, if the fan blew inward. My concern with using the side panel fan as an intake is that it prevents the front vents from drawing cooler air over the drives. Another intake fan behind the drives should take care of that. All the extra intakes should also make the PSU fans more efficient. It is difficult for a PSU fan to perform efficiently when you have negative pressure in the case.

I go with outtake for side and top fans as this reduces the possibility of confused air.

In doing so a flow of directed air will occur within the case and this will take care of hot and warm components.

you might consider a filter on that fan to keep the dust levels down, I have five fans blowing air thru my case and the screen on the front of my Antec case needs cleaning frequently even with the case sitting om my desk.

Rat
    Rat...
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to
    make the other ******* die for his."
    --George Patton

exactly as RAT suggested.

air filter is pretty much a must, unless you want to go clean your case every weekend, which becomes very tedious....

i was doing that for a while, got tired, and luckily i found some very nice matching air filter for my case, all the ones i've seen before were dead ugly.

Also, a standard 3" hole saw works great for 80mm fan cutouts. Beats spending hours with a dremel and ending up with a squared-off hole.

my computer has been fine for ages, using a 120mm intake at front, a 120mm outake at back and an amazing CPU cooler (forgot the name), until recently when the weather has got lots hotter my GPU keeps overheating so at the moment I have a large household fan blowing on it!

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    those ancient CPUs compared to now in days CPUs are never gonna reach that hot to need a side panel fan
    a couple pentium pros prolly would lol