Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restoring steam backup files

Restoring steam backup files

I had to reisntall my OS the other day along with Steam and I want to use my backup files I have from steam as its nearly 19GB worth of files, how in gods name do I reinstall my backups? my backups are not exe files they are sim files and some other file name im in work so im not looking at it, am I missing something or what?

You will have to reinstall Steam, launch the steam restore utility, and tell it which games you would like to restore. I don't have access to Steam ATM, so I can't tell you specifically how to get to the restore utility, but it should be easy to find.

ye thats the problem Im having I dont know how to get to it. I have been looking but maybe im missing something.

this is some of what I see in my backup

Counter-Strike_disk1.sim
    Counter-Strike_disk1.sis
    Counter-Strike_disk1_0.sid
    Counter-Strike_disk1_1.sid
    Counter-Strike_disk1_2.sid
    Counter-Strike_disk1_3.sid

Do you not have a .exe file in your backup?

if the backing up went correctly then you must have an .exe file

Do you happen to have your .gcf files? If so, you can just plop them back in the appropriate Steamapps directory, and that will work, and bypass needing to use the backup utility as well.

I dont have an exe file and from what I have seen so far, allot of people are getting the files like I have, they did add some patch for the backup utility , maybe thats why I have something like I have now. I honestly dont know why I did a backup when all I had to do was drag the steam folder into my 2nd drive (idiot). I think I have a 2nd back up some where ill check it out and post back if it works.

CrazyCrusher...did you find a solution for this. I also just did a fresh install of XP today and made a backup of my steam files this morning. I have just gone to re-install them and for some reason I also have the .sim & .sid files like you. Much wierdness....usually you get a .exe file which you just have to run. Let me know mate....cheers

I didnt find any solution to this problem, bblqj, I have searched and found some people who got backup like sim and sid files, I dont know to be honest, but from what I found on the net it seems to be some bug in thesteam backup process the files are right but missing the exe (such a surprise), I am downloading every thing all over again, mostly my own fault for not just draging them to be D drive and saving it there but still you pay for a product and you exspect it to at least backup your files right I can handle a frezze up and a disconnection problem, but when it comes down to downloading 19GB of data that tends to rub me the wrong way.

Anyone else find anything on this?
    Last edited by CrazyCrusher; 07-02-2006 at 02:18 PM.

me eigther....I just ended up downloading my 5Gb of data to re-install everything. Bummer!

Boy.. now i don't feel so bad about ahving to reinstall MY os. yeah.. all that steam stuff takes awhile to reload and update.. ( one of the reasons i keep putting it off ).

I now i saw the backup games in the main menu..its right there.

To me its kind of amzing at how Steam even runs right ( when it does ) ,with all the fixes and updates. Humans are falible... so i remain a bit skeptical.

Can you paste and copy the exe. file before reinstalling the OS.. ?? Like moving it to another HD??

If in fact some if not all of yu guys are having the same problem..,then once again i am hesitate at doing a fresh install., esp. if i know I cannot play my CSS or HL2 or whatever.

I wouldn't count on Steam or Valve getting back to anybody rel soon as they never ever have written me back about any problems i had. Just take the info you give them and some big overstuffed bozo probably sits on it and looks up into space LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Well lucky enough for me I found my old backup that I had. I am short a gig or 2 but at least its not every thing, and this backup has an exe file. as far as I have seen there is allot of people with this issue. I would copy and past it to your 2nd drive rabbit, the steam back up doesn’t seem to work to good at the moment, just drag and drop it.
    who knows maybe I did something when I was backing up my data, but I doubt it considering I’m not the only one with the issue.

I guess the moral of the story is, if you need to backup your Steam data, just copy your .gcf files, and paste them into your new install directory. Steam will do the rest, and you won't have to deal with the hassle of the backup utility.

Good call...lol
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS