Thread: Dumb MS Word annoyance

Dumb MS Word annoyance

When I started working on things today, I discovered a weird thing happening in MS Word. Whenever I start typing the font suddenly looks much fainter. I can stop typing, scroll up and down a few pages in the document, and then come back to the original point and the font looks fine. Start typing, it goes faint again. IT's not unreadable, but it is annoying.

This happens with multiple fonts.

I'm using Office XP and WinXP SP2.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Click on VIEW and make sure its set to Normal.
    "Vegetarians live up to nine years longer than the rest of us...Nine horrible, worthless, baconless years."

I would refresh my video drivers too.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    I bet he has spelling and grammer checking turned on. It makes the fonts light green when it changes something to auto correct.

Oddly enough, I had it in print layout rather than normal view (It's a ton easier to work with when doing a 350+ page document) and switching to normal view did seem to resolve it. However that still doesn't change why it started happening 380 pages in to the document.

The video drivers are the latest WHQL Forcewares.

It has nothing to do with spelling and grammar checking, as this happens to all the words in the current paragraph as soon as I hit any key in print view. I will simply hit the space bar and the text will suddenly grow "fainter."

It actually looks as if the lines that make up the letters are getting thinner, and thus harder to read.

If it keeps up I will probably have to switch to Open Office as normal view is not an option on a novel, at least not for me.

It's particularly noticeable with HP's Dark Courier font.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].