Thread: FEAR crashing problem

FEAR crashing problem

I have a strange problem:

My F.E.A.R. game crashes a second or two after I click on the desktop shortcut, locking up the computer requiring a hard reboot. System is usually overclocked (running Prime 95 and Memtest for 12-14 hours with no errors), but clocking to rated speed makes no difference – same crashes.

Quake IV, HL2, Age of Empires III, 3dMark 03 and 05, Prime 95, Aquamark, Super Pi, run with no problems.

I’ve tried disabling on board sound and removing the video card drivers and using just Windows VGA drivers. I’ve tried taking out the FEAR disc, the game crashes before it tries to verify the DVD is in the drive. I’ve tried reinstalling and playing FEAR with and without the latest patches, I’ve tried 6.4 and 6.5 Catalyst drivers. I have the latest Nforce 4 drivers. Took out one of the sticks of RAM and ran single channel. None of the above makes a difference.

System:

Opteron 146
    1G Kingston ValueRam 3200 dual channel
    Antec 450W PSU
    Radeon X850XT
    Asus 8N5X Mobo

I've run out of ideas on what else I can try.

Well, now it's just locking up on any application...

Ever consider a virus is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by rockinup1231
    Ever consider a virus is the problem?
    I haven't had a virus in soooo long, and am pretty careful and have a virus scanner, so haven't really thought about it. It is certainly a possibility though. My HD diag utility said all four of my partitions have corrupt file systems, so it is possible this was caused by a virus.

Won't be at my comp for a couple of days, so now I'm just gathering ideas as to what should be my next troubleshooting steps when I can get back to it.

Mods: sorry, this thread in two forums now, so please merge with the thread in Tech Support.

Could be that the program somehow has a conflict with something you might have recently installed.....

Not being any kind of expert on such things.. I myself have had games do that..

TRY.. deleting the shortcut if that is what you use and opening the exe. from the main folder...
    If that works then replace the shortcut

Now eveything locks up?? Could be a trojan or virus.. run all your utilities... and AV... See if anything opens in safe mode

Completely trun your computer off and restart....

Tryng hard to get ahndle on clues for ya... Sometimes..not very often my computer will get a freeze or nothing opens either ( not for a long time now ) but for some reason it goes away... maybe after i did some things... good luck!
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS