Thread: Transferring a domain from a UK to a US host

Ultimate Member

Transferring a domain from a UK to a US host

Greetings all,

I would like to know if there are any issues involved when transferring a domain name from a host in one country to a host in another country.

In my case I want to use a US host instead of my current UK host.

For example, will the site's search rankings remain unchanged after the transfer.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that there can be issues involved in such a transfer.
    PC Buyer Beware!

unless there is a change to the domain name, then there should be no real problems. All that really happens is that you will point a DNS update to the new address (actually YOU dont have to do this, cause the hosting company will) and in about 24 hours, the update has propagated through all major and minor routing facilities, allowing people to type in your URL and be directed to that new IP address.

The problems that most experience with this is that some small search engines will label your URL as "dead" if they just happen to try and visit your page during the short time it takes to turn-over, cause they wont be able to get there. Either way, most of those get corrected in the next polling of your links, and correct themselves with very little time.

Hope this helps.
    "Study the past if you would define the future." - Confucius