Thread: Need help updating BIOS and installing OS on new PC - Asus Mobo

Hybrid View

Need help updating BIOS and installing OS on new PC - Asus Mobo

Hello,

I just finsihed putting together putting together my second PC. Here is the hardware that is in it:

Pentium 950
    Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo
    Corsair XMS Pro PC6400 DDR2 (2gig)
    Enermax NoiseTakerII 600w PSU
    Evga GeForce 7900 GT KO

I have a floppy drive connected, but not the HD since I wanted to make sure I could get to a POST screen before putting the rest together.

As far as I know, the 950 Pentium is only supported with the most recent BIOS, v 3.10. I am sure this board does not have it.

Upon first boot, it gave me the message that the CPU has been changed, hit X to configure or X to continue. So I hit one of the keys to continue, then it brought me to the next screen saying there was no boot device available. Insert disk and press a key. So I inserted the floppy I made on my other PC with the new ASUS BIOS ROM file, and hit a key. It then told me to remove all disks, then hit any key. I did that, and it came back with insert boot disk. So that did nothing.

I shut it down, then the next 4 times I tried turning it on I got a blank screen, the fans and RAM lit up, but no POST screen. I guess I need to do this through a DOS prompt, but am not sure how.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any help guys!
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    Northwood 3.2 - OC to 3.6
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

And oh yes, all the power connections are connected on the mobo, as well as the GeForce. I got a picture upon first boot, but nothing after subsequent restarts. Any ideas?

03DSGSnake-

Sounds like you've corrupted the BIOS while attempting to update it. It probably needs to be sent to the manufacturer for a BIOS replacement.

LPTECH

Quote Originally Posted by lptech
    03DSGSnake-

Sounds like you've corrupted the BIOS while attempting to update it. It probably needs to be sent to the manufacturer for a BIOS replacement.

LPTECH
    Well I didn't update it becase after it asked to insert a boot disc, I put the floppy in and hit OK, then it said remove all dics and hit a key, which I did, then it asked for a boot disc again... over and over.

So I turned it off and tried again with the disc in the drive and got nothing on the screen.
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    Northwood 3.2 - OC to 3.6
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

Quote Originally Posted by 03DSGSnake
    Well I didn't update it becase after it asked to insert a boot disc, I put the floppy in and hit OK, then it said remove all dics and hit a key, which I did, then it asked for a boot disc again... over and over.

So I turned it off and tried again with the disc in the drive and got nothing on the screen.
    and actually what I had was not a boot disc, just a floppy with the BIOS ROM file, I guess I was unclear about that. According to ASUS I have to enter a command from the DOS prompt to update which I was not at.

I should have made a bootable floppy on another PC first, I think..... not sure never had to do this sort of thing before.

One other thing, I'm using a ps2 keyboard while I mess with the system, and when it is turned off the Number Lock light remains on...