Thread: Need help updating BIOS and installing OS on new PC - Asus Mobo

Need help updating BIOS and installing OS on new PC - Asus Mobo

Hello,

I just finsihed putting together putting together my second PC. Here is the hardware that is in it:

Pentium 950
    Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe Mobo
    Corsair XMS Pro PC6400 DDR2 (2gig)
    Enermax NoiseTakerII 600w PSU
    Evga GeForce 7900 GT KO

I have a floppy drive connected, but not the HD since I wanted to make sure I could get to a POST screen before putting the rest together.

As far as I know, the 950 Pentium is only supported with the most recent BIOS, v 3.10. I am sure this board does not have it.

Upon first boot, it gave me the message that the CPU has been changed, hit X to configure or X to continue. So I hit one of the keys to continue, then it brought me to the next screen saying there was no boot device available. Insert disk and press a key. So I inserted the floppy I made on my other PC with the new ASUS BIOS ROM file, and hit a key. It then told me to remove all disks, then hit any key. I did that, and it came back with insert boot disk. So that did nothing.

I shut it down, then the next 4 times I tried turning it on I got a blank screen, the fans and RAM lit up, but no POST screen. I guess I need to do this through a DOS prompt, but am not sure how.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any help guys!
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    Northwood 3.2 - OC to 3.6
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

And oh yes, all the power connections are connected on the mobo, as well as the GeForce. I got a picture upon first boot, but nothing after subsequent restarts. Any ideas?

03DSGSnake-

Sounds like you've corrupted the BIOS while attempting to update it. It probably needs to be sent to the manufacturer for a BIOS replacement.

LPTECH

Quote Originally Posted by lptech
    03DSGSnake-

Sounds like you've corrupted the BIOS while attempting to update it. It probably needs to be sent to the manufacturer for a BIOS replacement.

LPTECH
    Well I didn't update it becase after it asked to insert a boot disc, I put the floppy in and hit OK, then it said remove all dics and hit a key, which I did, then it asked for a boot disc again... over and over.

So I turned it off and tried again with the disc in the drive and got nothing on the screen.
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

Quote Originally Posted by 03DSGSnake
    Well I didn't update it becase after it asked to insert a boot disc, I put the floppy in and hit OK, then it said remove all dics and hit a key, which I did, then it asked for a boot disc again... over and over.

So I turned it off and tried again with the disc in the drive and got nothing on the screen.
    and actually what I had was not a boot disc, just a floppy with the BIOS ROM file, I guess I was unclear about that. According to ASUS I have to enter a command from the DOS prompt to update which I was not at.

I should have made a bootable floppy on another PC first, I think..... not sure never had to do this sort of thing before.

One other thing, I'm using a ps2 keyboard while I mess with the system, and when it is turned off the Number Lock light remains on...

1st , try clearing cmos as per the manual . Asus may refer to it as RTC I think . See if the board will POST . If it POST's , press the "Pause/Break" key to view the Bios version . If its earlier than v.0310 then according to Asus you need to update the bios for the 950.

You need to be 100% sure your using the correct bios file ,

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

Be sure the .rom file has been unzipped before you copy it to the floppy . Follow the Asus flash procedures , the EZ Flash is simple ...

http://support.asus.com.tw/technical...Language=en-us

*Note if the floppy drive is being accessed . If you don't get any video and the floppy led is on , listen for any drive activity , wait 5 min after led is off , remove the disk and restart the pc . If your lucky the bios will get reflashed and the system will POST .

**If you used the wrong bios file , you could have damaged the cpu .

I used the correct BIOS, it is 5n320310.ROM. I did not however use a bootable floppy to boot into DOS mode. I am going to make one right now and retry it after resetting CMOS.
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

According to the ASUS directions, I need to format a bootable floppy, then place the ROM and Asus AFUDOS utility onto the floppy.

The problem is, making a Bootable along with AFUDOS is 47.3 kb, the ROM file is 1,024kb. So there is not enough room on the floppy for the MS DOS Startup disk portion, along with AFUDOS and the BIOS ROM.

At least its posting now. Any ideas? Sorry for all then newb questions guys.

When I followed the directions from http://support.asus.com.tw/technical...Language=en-us , I simply clicked on FORMAT vs. make a DOS bootable. I then copies the AFUDOS and the ROM file. When I tried to boot with that, I got a remove all disks and hit any key message, so it did not boot to a DOS prompt.
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

To use AFUDOS you have to format the floppy , then add the DOS boot files , AFUDOS.exe and the .rom file

To use EZ Flash , you only need to format the floppy and add the .rom file , press ALT/F2 during POST . This method is normally used for bios recovery or as Asus puts it , refresh the bios.

If you want to use the AFUDOS method , I suggest you use drdflash from Bootdisk.com . Make your bootdisk first and test the pc will boot to a dos prompt . If it works , then add AFUDOS and the .rom file and then update the bios .

Did you check to see what the bios version is , before you begin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmech
    To use AFUDOS you have to format the floppy , then add the DOS boot files , AFUDOS.exe and the .rom file

To use EZ Flash , you only need to format the floppy and add the .rom file , press ALT/F2 during POST . This method is normally used for bios recovery or as Asus puts it , refresh the bios.

If you want to use the AFUDOS method , I suggest you use drdflash from Bootdisk.com . Make your bootdisk first and test the pc will boot to a dos prompt . If it works , then add AFUDOS and the .rom file and then update the bios .

Did you check to see what the bios version is , before you begin ?

Yes, it is currently v 2.12
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

Rocket,

I used the utility listed above to create boot disc. It worked and got me to A: prompt.

I then added AFUDOS.exe and my P5N320310.ROM file to the floppy with no issues. I put it back in the new box, and got to the A prompt. I entered:
    afudos /iP5N320310.ROM and it brought up the version info and everything for AFUDOS, verified a few things, then came back with an error similar to 'Unable to open ROM file'. I put the boot disc back in my other PC, and the rom file is there.

Seems that I am progressing in baby steps with this project, and running into a new snag with each one.
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...e/5n320310.zip

When I unzip the file , it is 5N320310.rom , there is no "P" in the file name, so try it without the "P" .

I just got back into town late last night and was able to get it working. I had to rename the ROM file to 'P5N32SD.ROM' for it to work.

Thanks for all the help!
    My home-grown system:
    Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
    1 gig Corsair XMS
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Case
    PNY GeForce 6800 128mb
    74gig Raptor SATA
    200gig Caviar SATA
    Audigy 2 ZS