Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender Beta 2

Windows Defender Beta 2

I would like to know if anyone is having issues with Windows Defender Beta 2.

I keep getting the Security Center Icon in the Taskbar telling me to download Definition Update KB915597, but after I go through all the motions, it just reappears.

I realize that it is only a Beta, but I would be interested in any feedback.

At this point, I am tempted to just uninstall it.

Thanks for any advice or help.
    Dell PIII 1000MHz, Maxtor 30GB Maxtor 20GB, Western Digital 10GB, Seagate SATA 250GB 7200, LG DVDRW D/L, LG DVD-ROM, HP DeskJet 1120C, Canon BJC-2000, BJC-2100, HP PSC 750xi, Dual-Boot (XP SP3 Home - ME), etc.

Yep...same here. My counterspy ran out at work, so...went with defender. Used to have AntiSpy here before counterspy.

I followed this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=915105

Uninstalled, reinstalled...reboots, everything known to man. Even hunted it down in the registry and wiped it. Same result. I'm stuck with 105 day old definitions now...

Looks like I better resubscribe to CS....

The last one I had problems like that on, I right clicked the icon and shut defender down then followed the instructions in the link.

Took a minute or two but after I started defender again it was updated.

I have had one that wouldnt work for anything though, I just uninstalled it and put a few free things on the computer.

It is Beta, yes, and it is VERY picky.

Yep...tried that too, Crossed up.

Shut it down, did the removal thing, started it up and looked for updates.
    If MS was smart, they'd have a definition manual download like Norton, McAffee...or any other common spyware/malware/virus program.

In case the "auto update" feature didn't work, give us the option of downloading the newest definition set and installing it manually...

Just seems to make sense....

Quote Originally Posted by crossed up
    The last one I had problems like that on, I right clicked the icon and shut defender down then followed the instructions in the link.

Took a minute or two but after I started defender again it was updated.

I have had one that wouldn't work for anything though, I just uninstalled it and put a few free things on the computer.

It is Beta, yes, and it is VERY picky.
    I had it on all three computers and ended up uninstalling it on all of them.

Too aggravating.
    jadinolf©1999

Ive managed to get it to work right on 2 out of 4, im at 50% anyway.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Defender, and it seems to be working O.K. now.

The only issue now is that a scan detected "Claria.GAIN.Trickler", and when I clicked on the link "View more information about this item online", all that happened was it displayed a blank MS Web Site.

I suppose I can live with that, though.
    Dell PIII 1000MHz, Maxtor 30GB Maxtor 20GB, Western Digital 10GB, Seagate SATA 250GB 7200, LG DVDRW D/L, LG DVD-ROM, HP DeskJet 1120C, Canon BJC-2000, BJC-2100, HP PSC 750xi, Dual-Boot (XP SP3 Home - ME), etc.

For anyone still having issues with Defender:

I forgot to mention in my last post that I also ran RegSeeker before I reinstalled Defender.

R/S detected 61 questionable Registry entries, quite a few of which were related to Defender.

I deleted all of them.

Also, in another Forum, one user resolved their issue by using the repair option in Add/Remove Programs.

Both are long shots I suppose, but one never knows.

The only issue now is that a scan detected "Claria.GAIN.Trickler", and when I clicked on the link "View more information about this item online", all that happened was it displayed a blank MS Web Site.
    Microsoft has, for reasons which are difficult to understand, reclassified some of the worst spyware out there to an "Ignore" recommendation, namely, Claria (GAIN), WhenU, Wehhances, eZula TopText and New.net.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1836008,00.asp

Yeah, my understanding is that Claria is actually the infamous Gator, and only changed their name because of their bad reputation.

I have not had the problem with a Security Center Icon in the Taskbar and updating definitions.

Am I missing something or do you folks think it's because I've never un-installed and re-installed Windows Defender?

Thanks in advance,

John B.

I don't think it has anything to do with an uninstall and a reinstall, because my issue occurred without doing that.

My theory is that you rolled the dice, just like me, with an M/S Beta; you rolled 7, I got snake eyes.

Hmm - Well the reason I asked is on the MS site it states:

"CAUSE: This problem occurs because after Windows Defender Beta 2 has been reinstalled, it does not automatically obtain new definitions until the next definition update is published on the Windows Update Web site."

Whatever that really means.

John B.

Some of us have been working hard at the CounterSpy forum testing a massive backlog of entries that needed confirmation for false-positives (FPs) or as malware etc.

Since we starting on the large backup the definition file is up to 3.78MB.

It used to go 3.14, 3.15, and 3.16. You get the idea.

CounterSpy is the best and is all I use.

Dump M$'s Defender (and its controversial exclusions) and get CS for $19.95. All software and definitions and tech support is free for one year. Any purchasable upgrade is 50% of the purchase price at the time.

Make me some money and go to my CS banner "Annoy a Hacker" at:

http://www.cheapshareware.co.uk/

Pretty please.

PS: another program intimidator thinks I’m high on. It simply is the best around.

May be he will go with my other recommendation as he did with KAV

I downloaded the Defender when this thread appeared and so far no problems.

I am using McAfee for Antivirus
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro