Thread: system keeps rebooting when I try to install ??

system keeps rebooting when I try to install ??

I have a system here are the specs
    built by Gateway

Hard drive- Fujitsu 10-GB 5400-RPM Hard Disk Drive
    CPU- Intel Celeron 633 mhz
    Memory- 256-MB 133-MHz 72-Bit 4-Clock 8x16 SDRAM DIMM
    Motherboard- MSI Motherboard - 633-MHz Celeron more info on board here--->
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERB...51108118.shtml

power supply- 90-Watt Power Supply Revision 2

It had windows me on it but was acting up. nothing would work no programs or software. The nortons wouldn't even work. gave an error. I put an adware program on and ran it, but as soon as if found some items the system would reboot, I tried stoping it after it found a few and clear them, again it would start the process but before it finished the system would reboot???. I tried to load drivers for a network card same reboot. I updated the bios for it but nothing changed. I tried windows 2K but it would even start to load. I got windows 98se on it but can't get anything else to install. if I click on control panel then system it reboots. when i was backing up items off it in the middle again it would just reboot on it's own. I had to copy a few at a time and after about 5 reboots I was able to save it all. Has anyone else had this problem ? going to try and scan the hd again. guessing it will reboot again. any help out there?? thanks joe
    Last edited by cnn7; 05-01-2006 at 06:58 PM.

did you run memtest and a hd diag yet? don't mess around with software until you know the hardware is good.

Go to Tech Tools and download UBCD.

could be the power supply as 90 watts sounds a bit weak (should be atleast 300w), but if it was supplied with a legit gateway pc then it might not be.. Try booting into the bios and just stay there for a while and see if it reboots then. But the first thing i would do is buy or borrow a new PSU and try that + are you using official windows coppies? Ive had nothing but trouble in the past with bootleg disks

Yes there the real thing. It dosen't reboot unless i'm useing it. Like coping the files to another folder it would go for about 1 min and reboot. I've got 98 on it but can't go any farther. when ever i try to load something it may reboot fast or may wait awhile before it dose it.

at the point where you set the clock and daylight savings in loading windows 98. well it dose that and some other stuff the last thing it dose is load a bunch of stuff at the end and I did that part like 6 times before it finally made it through it. most it would reboot then restart and i'd have to go through it again as if it didn't do it. ?? she brought the orginal restore disk over now see what that dose...