Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CD Rom Undetected by computer

CD Rom Undetected by computer

I picked up a computer that had everything but a hard drive. I put one of my drives in all worked fine except for one thing. It could not detect the CD rom. I friend who knows a bit said there is probably a driver file on the drive for a different CD Rom and I have to find it and delete it. If this sounds right, can anyone tell me how to find that file? Maybe someone has another idea on how to fix this. If so, please let me know. Thanks

pianojoe235
    joepetrone@att.net

cdroms don't need drivers unless you are trying to use them in DOS or something. check the bios and make sure it is seen there first.

CD rom

I did check the bios and it's not listed

Also Find New Hardware in Control Panel found nothing.

if it's not in the bios, then windows can't see it anyway. check the bios settings for the drive and try setting the ide to "none".

check the ide cable and jumper settings. in the end, it might just be a plain old dead drive.

check jumpers in the CD ROM

or take it out and test it on another computer

the CD ROM might actually be damaged
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Are we talking about Windows XP? If so, you might want to check this out.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/restore_..._dvd_drive.htm

Export the Key to My Documents or some other place that is easy to find before deleting any values, in case you want to change it back.

Follow the advice above before doing this.

it seems to be a much lower level problem, since the system bios doesn't even see the drive.

I did check the bios and it's not listed

it seems to be a much lower level problem
    I would have to agree with that. It was offered as supplementary information - probably more useful to someone finding this thread by search engine.
    How old is this computer anyway. Some of the old ones had to be switched from Auto to CDROM in the BIOS before they could be properly recognized.
    A little more information would be helpful.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    CD ROM drives do fail and die.

A replacement is less than $20 and a good DVD ROM burner can be found for under $50.00

just a thought.. i have a pc chips board and for some reason both my drives will only work as slaves when their is a hard disk on channel 1 (dont know why) so try setting the jumper to slave and popping it on the same cable as the hard disk

Thanks for all your replies

The first thing you all should know is that the CD rom is fine. I put it back in my old computer and it works. I tried most of your bios suggestions and nothing worked. This might be a clue. The Floppy drive wasn't working either but I wasn't worried about that but just to see what would happen I put the Floppy drive back in my old computer too and the son-of-gun worked. What's confusing me is there are only two things that a computer gets info from, the mother board and the hard drive. As I said, I have the same hard drive in this computer and the same CD rom that worked in the old one. I'm stymied.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Mobo is broken.

indeed... the I/O controller for the HDD / FDD is goner....

either get a new HDD controller, or better yet get a new Mobo
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

you never said how you got the computer. if it was cheap, it probably has some defects. check the cmos and make sure the ide controllers are enabled. you could go so far as to reset the cmos. otherwise, you'll probably have to scrap the MB.