Thread: Serious HDD problem

Ultimate Member scottluebke2003's Avatar

Serious HDD problem

I'm fixing an old Emac for a friend. The comp stopped booting into OS X. This is 10.1 I believe. The release just after the 9 series, but it is OS X. I have tried to format but the computer does not recognize a HDD. I connected it to my PC and formatted it and it does work cuz the PC recognizes it and will format it, but the MAC still doesnt see it. I checked the jumpers and they are correct, all cables are attached. Do I have to do something special to prep this thing b4 I install the OS? Help please. I gotta get this beast off my hands.

...I have heard that HDD's have to be prepped for a MAC before installing the OS.
    ~A life without Jesus is a life that's never fixed~

If 10.1 is an upgrade, it may require that ver. 9 is installed on the HDD. It's also possible that the drive must be "zeroed". You can use Zap to clear it.

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173743

Don't forget to double-click the file to expand it and read the README. Load ZAP.COM to a bootable floppy. Remove all drives but the Mac one, hook that up as master and run ZAP 0 (zero). That command is for clearing the primary master. Primary slave is ZAP 1. Secondary master is ZAP 2 and Zap 3 is the secondary slave.
    MS MCP, MCSE