Thread: Plz recommend a smaller cpu cooler

Plz recommend a smaller cpu cooler

My cpu cooler sounds like a jet . I would like to quit it down but still oc my chip . Its currently running at 2.2 ghz. I would use a big typoon but its too big for my socket A board ms-6712. Any one with a good idea for a cooler plz post it. Im currentlyusing a Vantec areo flow but man its loud. Oh almost forgot I don't have mounting holes on my motherboard.
    Last edited by TomT; 04-30-2006 at 03:26 PM.

it's a socket A board, so the chips @ 2.2Ghz aren't going to run cool. I'm sorry to say that OCing and quiet coolers are redundant most of the time. there are some good coolers made by coolermaster that work really well, but those require mounting holes. You may need to get a new board that has mounting holes inorder to make it work. Good luck on your search.

I have pretty much the same setup.
    MSI 6570, XP 3200+, Vantec aero flow.

You're right, that 70mm fan is noisy. I even put it on a fan controller and while that helped, it still had that nasty pitch.

What I did, was to remove the Vantec fan and install a 70mmm to 80mm fan adapter.
    That opens the door to a wide selection of 80mm fans.
    I had an Enermax 80mm on hand and coupled that with a Vantec silicon fan gasket.
    Everything bolts together...no whittling.

The machine idles at 38C-39C and is much easier on the ears.
    If I had my druthers, I would probably try the mid-range Panaflo with RPM signal and put it on my fan controller so I could "dial it in".

The Enermax is at WOT : 2800 RPM, 40 CFM, 26 dBA

Thermalright 97A is another option that uses a 92mm fan if you have room.
    With the right fan it can be very quiet and effective.
    PM me if you need sources.

JF
    Last edited by jflan; 04-30-2006 at 08:14 PM.

Thermalright SI-97

Best cooler that will latch on that I'll vouch. I've ran on one and they make quality stuff to most everyone's agreement. Vantec may also have some solutions, though clearance and mounting may be an issue. The thermalright is a tad big but it is still mountable on practically any board due to it's design. You also have to buy a fan seperately which can be a good thing if you need absolute quiet (and can live with the cost of absolute quiet in the temp dept). Long as your running a normal high airvolt of 1.75 or below you should have acceptable temps with the right fan and hardly any noise (if any at all) above most PSU fans.

Yup. The SI-97a is a good bet if you don't have mounting holes. You'll have to get your own 90mm fan.

http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_si-97-01.html

That doesn't look too bad. However, it does look heavy. That could be a problem for a board that doesn't have any mountings.

It uses the three clips in the old style motherboard.

Just because it uses it doesn't mean it is going to stay on there - or your socket to the motherboard. If you don't take your box anywhere and it stays where it is at, then it should stay mounted, but if you transport it - I'd be a little leary. I was leary with the SI-97 not because of it's weight, but more of the fans weight (albeit not much) getting an added "boost" due to the height of the cooler. This one is tall as well and looks heavier - so I'd be careful if I got that heatsink and was bringing the box to lanparties and such, otherwise there is no harm to be done.

I'm not recommending that heatsink, but I'm not saying not to get it. I don't know it's performance numbers or even it's relative performance hence why I can't make that decision.

thx for your help