Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Data Backup Software

Data Backup Software

Ive recently purchased myself a nice 300GB External hard disk to backup all my video data, Pics and documents from my normal C Drive. Ive copied all my docs onto the drive but when i want to add more i have to select the individual file and drag it into the appropriate box.. Is their any software which will only replace files that have either been modified or dont exist on the external drive.

For example..... My docs C drive is now on My Docs E Drive but when i want to backup again i have to copy the entire thing over (which takes ages - 200GB) because i cant remember which files are new because i use my pc for Vid and sound editing all the time.

Ive tried looking on Download.com for backup programs but non that will simply overlook files that are already their and put modified or new files onto the drive

any ideas... I'd prefer a free program but i dont mind paying as its such a time hog to have to replace the entire folder every time.

Richard

A Backup program has been included in every version of Windows released. In the case of XP Home, you must install it from the CD.

http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/tips/020422.htm

Tips:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx
    MS MCP, MCSE

cheers chaps... I'll try that one first (i have professional) but that sync thing also looks good, will d/l that too

For the best feature rich backup program around at the price and a free upgrade to V7 in the next week go to my purchase link and receive a 20% discount for Genie Backup Manager Professional.

http://www.cheapshareware.co.uk/prod...kupmanager.php

NTBackup will not backup open files. This is a major shortcoming as you know Bill.

To backup open files you will need to purchase Genie's File Access Manager but I resell this at a 20% discount too. It's all very affordable and you get piece of mind.

PM me if you are interested.

I’m their software tester, forum moderator and technical writer. Bill has in his hand the first submission of 68,000 words of my “More Than Just A Glossary.” (Copyright 2006). I’m going to be in all the major computing magazines soon as their Executive Vice President is being interviewed about the new release which is going to be massive. It will be 200,000 words in 8 months but the next submission will be in 6 weeks and at 90,000 words. This has been over a year’s worth of hard graft freely given to Genie for its customers.

Ask Bill about it, if you like.

Backing up open files is only an issue when you're backing up the entire OS. Most system backup software (Ghost, True Image) uses the Windows Volume Shadow Copy service to back up Windows files. In this case, he had very specific folders to back up. Because of this, open files are not a problem.

Gavin's "glossary" is quite a work, I can tell you.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Thanks for your kind words Bill but in this request and others, what will occur when open Word, Excel, Outlook ect files are open.

NTBackup will skip them.

Genie Backup Manager with File Access Manager will not and with do much more, e.g., schedules, compress and encrypt to AES 256-bit, simultaneous backups with integrity assured and so forth.

I cannot recommend it more than I have.

The cheap option is a free version like NTBackup which is ok but the smart approach is GBM and FAM working together.

A passive program such as True Image and Ghost will backup as mentioned by Bill but most of the time a user will be working with open files within Windows which will need backing up regularly. No previous passive backup from TI or Ghost is going to get the data back post the image. Date recovery is the only option or complete data loss due to lack of money or expertise in recovery the data. For the price of the software mentioned, is it worth the hassle – I don’t think so.

I can only advice; it is up to each and every one of you on Sysopt.com to have a sound and robust backup policy.

Download load it at:
    GBM: http://www.genie-soft.com/download/GBMProV6_Setup.exe
    FAM: http://www.genie-soft.com/download/FAM_setup.exe
    Free Plug-ins: http://www.genie-soft.com/Scripting/ScriptSrch.aspx

Try them, you have nothing to lose at all. And if you do like them go here:

If you would like FAM just email me and a 20% discount can be arranged – and this is a must have.

The RRP for both is $94.94. From me it is $74.96, a saving of $19.98 – not bad I would say

I hear time and time again about lost data and backup recovery. To me $74.96 is cheap.

The decision must be your and your alone.

SynchBack is, by all accounts, the best freeware backup program out there. The pro version, SynchBack SE, will backup locked or open files ($25).
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Your suggestion may not be the best against the new Genie Backup Manager (GBM) I can assure you. It uses two backup engines in case one fails and the same for optical. Moreover you suggestion was stuck for many years without a single upgrade. I know because I use to check on it from time to time.

It has so many features and is so fast even compared to V6 of all versions. By the end of the month it will be released.

Try it; you have absolutely nothing to lose.

www.genie-soft.com

My 20% discount link is:

Members here know I do not BS, and my recommendations I believe over the past have be sound and followed by many.

So again, I say, give GBM a go, if you buy though me you get a 20% discount, and then afterwards email me and I can get the same discount on the open file backup program called Genie File Access Manager (FAM). IF you buy V7, you get V8 absolutely free too on its release.

Both have been completely recoded. For this reason it has taken almost a year of hard graft.

You even get about 21 days to change your mind with a no quibble refund. What else can a company offer than that?

Blueharmonic has both GBM V6 Pro and FAM from me – I will ask him to post what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by tricktx
    Ive recently purchased myself a nice 300GB External hard disk to backup all my video data, Pics and documents from my normal C Drive.
    As fine as Genie is, G, all that Trickx requires is a simple backup program (free with Windows) or a cheap sync program. He doesn't need a $55+ program to do this rather small job. Why buy a Jaguar when all you need is a Mini?

I really doubt if he would try to back up open documents.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Yes but backing up can end up becoming more complex over time. At least with GBM there are the features ready when needed.

Moreover, when I wrote the post I’m not just writing for the benefit of the requester but to all members of Sysopt.com. I don’t like to here of members losing valuable and precious data.

Data lose is serious, and distressing.

“The cost of a recovery ranges from US$500 to US$2,500, depending on the filesystem (servers, RAID arrays (multi-hard disk drive storage subsystem), and UNIX are more expensive), the type of repair, the time required, the type of data to retrieve (text is easier to recover than a corrupted databases), and the probability of success and therefore payment costs. Some extreme cases, including those requiring onsite support, can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Worldwide, it is estimated that the market for data recovery in 2005 was over US$100 million.”

I also use the excellent Good Sync Pro, the developers of the excellent RoboForm. The Pro version cost but the non-pro version is free.

I recomend the free version only on the basis of the pro, as I haven’t tested or needed to use it. My data is important so I pay the money.

Free, Good Sync V4.5
    http://www.goodsync.com/

HI Every one
    Over the last few years I have looked and read about many back up systems, and I also know a lot of people who have used freebie back up systems, They thought all was well, and every thing was backed until one day crash and they lost every thing.

So I decided to pay for a back up system I could trust and was user friendly and I found this on sysopt.com and G. I have been using GBM and FAM now for a fair time and had no problems what so ever, in fact I will go as far to say it's the best software I purchased since I have been using a computer.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank G for all his help in this matter. believe me this Guy is spot on, I would have no worry buying GBM And FAM from him and he dose offer a very good discount, and far as I am concerned GBM and FAM its the best on the market for reliability and is user friendly.

Blueharmonic

I love Retrospect's backup software. Came with my Maxtor One Touch external drives. Very easy to set up an icon to back up from any one drive / directory to another...

Hey G - you're bright guy and very helpful - right on about NT Backup - in my view it stinks. Unless all machines shut down, logged off, whatever, it will skip alot of files. We're migrating from GoldMine - which until about 90 days ago we never had a reliable backup for - to Outlook, but the issue is what it is.

I'm the informal IT guys but our IT source says to use Veritas. Haven't done anything yet. But because we ask others not to post software offers perhaps you could just suggest they PM you so we can be fair to others who get on and try to be as helpful with discounts or make software sale offers.

Most of the time we come down on them as adverts and they're toast in minutes.

I love Retrospect's backup software. Came with my Maxtor One Touch external drives. Very easy to set up an icon to back up from any one drive / directory to another...
    I received the "express" version of Retrospect with my WD external HDD. I purchased the full version of the program & have beeen quite pleased with it so far.

Cogito
    , Ergo Sum