Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • PC

9 56.25%
  • XBOX

7 43.75%

Thread: Oblivion: PC vs. Xbox.

Oblivion: PC vs. Xbox.

My older son wants to get Oblivion, however, his current PC bearly makes the minimum requirenments.
    The question is: To what point does it makes sense to build a whole new machine when for a fraction of the price you can get a new XboX ??

I say build the PC. Although I have never been a console fan. I just think the quality you get out of a good PC will outweigh the XBOX. The 360 does look pretty good, but I would still go for the PC. You can do so much more with a PC.

hm it depends . . . . how old is your son?
    most "kids" like consoles more and its better imo, im only 18 but i always liked the ps2 more than a pc until i was like 16/17

yes you can do more but the xbox is very good too, al ot of good games and like you said, its cheaper

at the moment the graphics are nearly the same but that will change in the next months, pcs will always be ahaed
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard : AMD X2 4800+ CPU : 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM : ATI EAX 1950XTX : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

I'd say Xbox. It would be more kid-friendly (and alot cheaper!) than a high end computer. You would also have to pay over $1,500 on a computer to run oblivion with nice graphics!

I have seen it and played on both, the Xbox 360 Version looks better, but if he needs a new computer just build him a cheap one, if you want to run Oblivion your going to be spending at least 1200 bucks for a computer that’s going to make the game look good. as I have said though the game looks better on the 360 than it does on the PC. the rest is up to you. Even the Recommended specs for the game are pretty high so that’s going to put you in a high spending bracket.

Recommended:

3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    1 GB System RAM
    ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
    Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP
    512MB System RAM
    2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    8x DVD-ROM drive
    4.6 GB free hard disk space
    DirectX 9.0c (included)
    DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    Keyboard, Mouse

Easy one, XBOX. If the PC he has is suitable for everything else he does doesnt make sense to upgrade it for 1 game.

The game was made to run on the XBOX perfect right out of the box without graphics settings tweaking, was made to run at full bore. On the PC you would probaly never be able to max out the details and there are just too many variables to screw around with. The easier option is better in this case to me.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com

I'm not much of a console gamer fan anymore, but in this case I would have to go with the Xbox. If you really think there will be a significant number of PC games he will want in the future than maybe PC is a resonable option...but for now, spend the $60 and go with xbox.

I was seriously looking at oblivion and might pick up a copy in the future...I haven't played a whole lot of single player RPGs recently but this game got some great reviews and has me thinking. I don't even know how well it would run on my aging 2800+Barton/9800pro system...probably not well. Holding out for Vanguard for any serious hardware upgrades.

No brainer - Xbox. You can forget trying to run this game on a 2800+/9800pro. I bought the game and spent several days tweaking to try and get it to run on a 3.3GHZP4/7800GS/2G RAM, but gave up - I could not get over 25fps at 1024x768. Waste of time and money. Some people apparently have had more success and good luck to them, but my advice is to go for the Xbox.

Excellent article. The Oblivion CPU benchmarking tests confirm that a CPU bottleneck is very likely with an unbalanced system. The fps that they achieve in the GPU benchmarks are close to my own figures. I've also realised that I have an unbalanced system following a recent upgrade to a 7800GS. My single core P4 is just not up to the job, so it's basically a new system for me if I want to play this game at an acceptable frame rate.

Much as I'd love to say PC I'd go with XBox.
    I've maxed all the settings on my PC version but not before spending well over a £1000 on components. I don't think it does the game justice to play it on a below spec PC as the game has so much to give in graphics & content depth.
    As the XBox version is ready to play and all settings are maxed to the 360s capabilites I'd go with the that one. Like previous posts stated, more kid friendly and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    I have seen it and played on both, the Xbox 360 Version looks better, but if he needs a new computer just build him a cheap one, if you want to run Oblivion your going to be spending at least 1200 bucks for a computer that’s going to make the game look good. as I have said though the game looks better on the 360 than it does on the PC. the rest is up to you. Even the Recommended specs for the game are pretty high so that’s going to put you in a high spending bracket.

Recommended:

3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    1 GB System RAM
    ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
    Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP
    512MB System RAM
    2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
    128MB Direct3D compatible video card
    and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
    8x DVD-ROM drive
    4.6 GB free hard disk space
    DirectX 9.0c (included)
    DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
    Keyboard, Mouse

I've seen it played on both too and i'd have to disagree whole heartedly, unless you're playing on a low-mid end machine. However, on a high end computer, the PC looks better. I read an article that did just that sort of comparison with pictures of both the xbox version, as well as low-mid-high end PC's, and the high end PC version definatly look significantly better. Of course, you'll have to pay more for the video card alone than you would for the console.

Ultimate Member

Ye I saw that one I posted it not to long ago
    http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190876

but ye I would agree with you, it does look better on a high end PC without a doupt, I personally would agree with magua it could be a bad port. still its a nice looking game on both system, I play it on my HD TV and it looks awesome, regardless, Im not a huge RPG fan but im liking this game either way. to be and being honest Graphics are not every thing, but they do help, in this case the game is fun anyways