Thread: ntldr question...

ntldr question...

Ok, so my comp was working fine yesterday evening. I didnt make any real changes to my knowledge yesterday, but today when I woke up and tried to turn on my comp, I get this error " NTLDR is missing, plz restart".I restart my comp, same error. OK< I searched these forums for the answer, but honestly I couldnt find the anser. I cannot RECover because my WIN XP was installed by my friend when my comp crashed last time. So I have no Win xp disk. Im kinda noob with this tech stuff, so I was wondering if FDISK (not really sure what it is) can fix the problem? Or if any other programs out there can fix this problem. PLEASE help me, I really need my comp to work
    thank you in advance
    "Ha? Sysopt.com is the best site online? Dang Right!"
    -- Quote by animeal

check if there is a floppy in the drive.

if you don't own a copy of winxp, then we can't help you.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    FDISK is great at fixing problems by deleting all files on the hard drive. Everyone should try it at least once.

Unless you buy a WinXP CD, you may want to consider installing one of the mmany Linux distros such as Ubuntu because they are free.

NTLDR missing problems usually means the hard drive is ready to fail or it has already failed completely. Take it to a computer repair tech this time.

Ive had tons of trouble over the year with the NTLDR file in windows. Most of the time it just does it after a random restart.. The only option i found apart from formatiing the disk was to copy a few files from another xp machine NTLDR Boot.ini etc and try running it then. Only do this if you dont have any other means of backing your files up or else i would recomend a restart. Once i did that, and i got windows booted again i just tried scandisk / restore in dos and chse an old date.. It isnt the best way of fixing it i know but if your really stuck then thats all i can suggest..

Ive found that it isnt NTLDR thats missing, some link in the boot sequence has become corrupt and cant load it.

Hope that helps

" XP Quick Boot Diskette" might help...
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

thnx guys for all ur help. Ive copied a file to floppy disk from this site: http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm .... so now i can get into windows, but only with this floppy disk. can someone please help and let me know what should i do to fix windows so i can get in normaly? Not sure if this helps , but in windows task manager (alt +ctrl+del) i have a task named "Project 1" . I think its a virus, no idea how to get rid of it. ><
    "Ha? Sysopt.com is the best site online? Dang Right!"
    -- Quote by animeal

MS MCP, MCSE