Thread: Pentium III-800 coppermine OC

Pentium III-800 coppermine OC

recently aquired about half a dozen P3 CPU's and 4 Palamino cores i wish to OC
    P3's first got an Asus p3-FB by coppermine. i have a little experience with overclocking but not enough to trust myself. anyone care to lend a bit of info to a novice overclocker.

Have you got the actual ASUS motherboard model number? The ASUS 5x85/Socket7 motherboards usually started P5...

Are those the 8x100Mhz 800's or the 6x133Mhz 800's?

If you don't know either fo those: CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php).

I'm pretty certain the CuMine CPU's are all multiplier locked, so it's a memory OC that you're after.

Remember old AGP graphics cards in particular will not take kindly to too much of an AGP OC, so search through the BIOS for anything that lets you change the ratios of the PCI and AGP bus. PCI will currentyly be at 33Mhz and AGP 1x is 166Mhz, so you will need to change any ratios to slow those down slightly, which should give you more overhead on the memory OC.

Get some higher rated memory: if they're already running 8x100Mhz, then you're in luck! Any old PC133 CAS1 should do it pretty well!

I had Corsair XMS PC150 CAS1 in my old P3 (dual) which really helped for the old overclocking.

Having said that, there really was a definite limit around 1.1Ghz - 1.05Ghz for almost all Coppermine CPU's - unless you go for super-cooling. (Kryotech, etc)

Remember even Intel released a 1.13Ghz P3 (Coppermine, I think!) and then had to pull it because even those CPU's that would run at that speed would burn out too quickly. It was only the revised Turion core that would do the 1.3 and 1.4Ghz speeds (but they had to wait for P4's to get to 2Ghz before they'd risk releasing those!!).

Now start shifting the memory speed up (in the BIOS) - small steps. Unfortuantely a lot of P3 mobo's would only let you do it in 10Mhz steps - my Abit VP6 was one of the few that would let you go in 1Mhz steps, but by the time I was onto that, I also had dual 1Ghz CPU's so couldn't get much more out of them...
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    L O S T B O K
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2500+ @ 11x200, 1Gb twinX (2-3-2-11), Radeon 9700PRO @ 342Mhz, Raptor74Gb.

Your target should be 1066MHz at 133 bus, but you'll need the right hardware to do it:

First of all, newer AGP cards are no good for overclocking, you'd need something from around 2000-2002.

Now I'm going to have to assume you have the PIII 800E (100MHz bus) because the PIII 800EB (133MHz bus) would force you to overclock the board to get UP TO STOCK!

Your P3B-F is an outstanding overclocker so long as you have the right graphics card and RAM. You'll need low-density PC133, if you don't already have it.

Other than that, it's just a matter of increasing the core voltage and bus speed. Hmm...I don't remember the P3B-F having core voltage adjustment...I always used adjustable slot adapters.