Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What new games are ya all looking at this month through June??

I'm running AGP - since your using all the graphics mods your probably going way past your cards memory, while the ULi chip on the Asrock I have is one of the fastest AGP solutions out there (and on a budget board surprisingly), all of the last gen AGPs are pretty darn close in the end, so I doubt that is the case.

You can check how much is being used ingame with setdebugtext=13 in console, if your going past or within 15 megs of your cards buffer size, your not going to have a fun time as it'll start writing to system memory and that latency is killer irregardless of PCI-E or AGP.

Drop the distance mods unless your fond of going into the console and hitting pcb tp clear the buffer of unused textures since you have the same buffer size as mine. There is no other workaround for the background textures but manually pcbing quite a bit - every time you go outside, travel, or walk into a new terrain set you'll have to do it - not to mention after most fights. Quite tedious, so I'm debating on keeping 2xAA with 8xAF or dropping the mod, and it looks like the mod is going to lose seeing as it draws more resources.

A lot more is being drawn than farcry in the distance since it isn't all water in the background that they can just throw a simple texture over. Some people seem to have forgotten that little bit who are complaining... farcry was always an island or three, this is all land. So with that in mind, I'm quite happy with the gains I've gotten and even the default performance (even though it wasn't quite tweaked right - like ignoring the fact I have a dual core CPU). Enabling threading gave me nice gains all around - just it was like 15 lines to search through and change. Great QA there, but at least the option to fix it was there, so I shouldn't be complaining too harshly.

Try dropping the graphics mods if your passing your buffer size, I'm nearly sure that's your issue unless everything blows indoors as well (console pcb first just to clear the memory to check, as it'll hold onto most of those outdoor textures even if you don't want it to). If it's still slow, I have no other clues.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by holoflux
    Elder Scrolls 3: Oblivion, Tomb Raider Legends and HL2 E1. I've got Oblivion, but unless you have serious hardware I wouldn't bother.
    What? I don't have serious hardware.

I only have an X1800XT crossfired, a 4400+ running at 2600 mhz, 2 gigs of OCZ gamer gold DDR 500, an enermax 620 liberty, and a few other pieces that make the rig work.

I wouldn't call that serious hardware. I would call that minimum because I can't afford more.

I run oblivion like a hot knife through butter.

You know... you start a post about a subject. Then as always.., it seems to go by the wayside...and now..here we all are talking about system performance.

Why not start a post of yur own??
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by BadDriver
    What? I don't have serious hardware.

I only have an X1800XT crossfired, a 4400+ running at 2600 mhz, 2 gigs of OCZ gamer gold DDR 500, an enermax 620 liberty, and a few other pieces that make the rig work.

I wouldn't call that serious hardware. I would call that minimum because I can't afford more.

I run oblivion like a hot knife through butter.
    great, you have the biggest johnson, happy? we weren't asking you.

as far as upcoming games: i'm looking at sin and the new HL.
    I'm getting condemned and prey for certain.

now here's something i can't decide. I'm a superbike fanatic, and it's hightime i picked up a motorcycle game.

tourist trophy for ps2 looks nice but i've destroyed all the gran turismos and the tracks are all the same between games.
    that and motogp 4 (ps2) and motogp 06 (360) are on the way.
    what to do?
    2 wheel racing recommendations anyone?
    Last edited by tasty danish; 04-17-2006 at 02:28 AM.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

The latest Ghost Recon should be good ..and i too am looking forward to Prey.

If they ever made another game like F.E.A.R. ..maybe a sequel then that would be first on my list. I just think that game is the best thing since slice bread. One of the best games ever as far as i'm concerned. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    The latest Ghost Recon should be good ..and i too am looking forward to Prey.

If they ever made another game like F.E.A.R. ..maybe a sequel then that would be first on my list. I just think that game is the best thing since slice bread. One of the best games ever as far as i'm concerned. LOL
    Amen to fear. Some may call it unrevolutionary, but I have never had that much fun with a game... well, max payne was close.

I've played GRAW on xbox 360 and it FRIGGEN RULES.
    I can't decide if i want to own it on PC or xbox.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

Thats funny you mentioned Max Payne... I just replayed the second one again and once again I saw things i didn't see before and the game is just plain good.
    If i'm not mistaken..., MP was the first real first preson shooter to use slow motion...freeze time ( or bullet time as they call it )..and it just makes the game.
    I also enjoy immensely , the whole old time storybook way they did it. both are on my top ten list...

F.E.A.R. is good because of the same concepts..but its done even better ad in thier own way... Again.. the slow motion to be able to enhance and add advantage is just plain brilliant. For me that is the one thing thatr makes the game. Otherwise, it would just be good instead of very very good.

Often.. transfers from a console medium to a PC is not always if ever done very well for whatever reasons... Mostly its because they just want to rush to market..and no real thought is put into things...

I just got ahold of a bootleg copy of a game i originally wanted and thought would be good.. ; ' Cold Fear" , and just playing through a bit of the first level and got disgusted how they used second person ( and even the first person is done pressing the mouse 2 and its awkward ) and how bad it is gameplay wise. Graphics are quite good.., but that is all. A real dissappointment for sure. LOL

BTW: Since UBI is practically destroying the R6 series are there any other tactical shooters besides SWAT 4? I wish SWAT 4 had co-op terrorist hunt like R6.

I've heard about EA's new futuristic "Battlefield" game, though it's outside the margin of this post's "through June" date it looks coooooooooool!

Yeah.. I saw and have been reading up some on the new EA release coming in 2007 sometime.., from what i hear. It does look mighty tempting.
    Suppose to be similar to BF2.., meaning it will have the same engine...

It seems like what game designers are doing more and more now is moving us into some kind of futuristic setting(s) of sorts..,since most of the sameo oldtime battlement scenarios have been played out.

I too liked the Ravenshield series also, and only played the demo of the latest one.. Unlike some i actually thought it was OK.. entertaining and the controls work real well... I like things as simple as can be when I play games.. meaning not having to use like tons of buttons for evry little action... That way you can concentrate more on whats really going on.

Has anybody played the new Splinter Cell game. I think its either already out or is coming real soon.

To be honest.. I am in hot water in the finantial department..and relly cannot afford any new games..., so i keep replaying some of what i got. Not so bad as i have alot of games..and most all of the good ones..

Say what you will but UBIsoft is still a good company that puts out some of the best games..., or at least the ones i like the most. LOL

its called Battlefield 2142
    trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K17IO...lefield%202142

they want to release it fall this year, about 1 year after bf2
    so typically EA money money money . . . . .
    bf2 still has so many bugs, but who cares, lets make a new battlefield!! YEAH!!

oh and the new splinter cell (double agent) was delayed, also coming fall this year
    Last edited by germanNiklas; 04-18-2006 at 05:11 PM.
    ASUS A8N-E Motherboard : AMD X2 4800+ CPU : 2 GB Kingston ValueRAM : ATI EAX 1950XTX : Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockNRoll
    BTW: Since UBI is practically destroying the R6 series are there any other tactical shooters besides SWAT 4? I wish SWAT 4 had co-op terrorist hunt like R6.
    Work on Rainbow 6: Vegas was shipped out to another developer, after the horrific mess that was Lockdown, as such there remains hope that it wont be a big pile of pants

--Jakk

Jak.... Hahahaha thats funny. Good to know somebody keeps up on things...

Yeah ....that trailer for BF 2142 shows some of what to expect. Probably the same kind of playing as the previous with new maps and who knows what else.. It should be OK. Hard to appease the masses i always say.

I thouhgt SC was coming out this fall..thanks for the updates. LOL

A different developer? Not UBI??? Who?????

Ultimate Member
    It's still being published by Ubisoft, but its being worked on at Montreal - also IIRC its been taken away from Red Storm and handed off to another developer (whose name escapes me atm.)

--Jakk

Oooooooooh right lol developer, not publisher. This could be great news!!!