Thread: No Route to Host ... but there is?

Hybrid View

No Route to Host ... but there is?

Hey all,

It's been a while since I've visited SysOp, but I'm hoping someone can shed light on my problem.

My personal LAN consists of a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G v2) with 3 computers connected via physical links. These computers are running 3 different operating systems (Windows XP Pro, Ubuntu/Debian, FreeBSD 6). All have no problem accessing the internet in any way .... except ...

Computer #1 (window xp pro)
    C:\ > telnet smtp.vt.edu 25
    Connected
    <Insert telnet prompt with echo off>

Computer #2 and #3
    $bash: telnet smtp.vt.edu 25
    No Route to Host (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Now I'm current at university and I'm in a Network Arch class... but how can this be? Shouldn't all outgoing connections through the router from all of the computers get the same result? Why could one computer telnet on that port, but other can't seem to find it?

I tried:
    Switching operating systems on the other 2 computers, so thats not it. What else could it be? Ideas?
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Haha, so I'm not crazy. Gonna try booting a live linux cd on the computer that *can* get to smtp servers...if that works I might go crazy. This is so freaking strange.
    Live by it: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove