Thread: Opteron 144 or 3200+Venice?

Ultimate Member

Opteron 144 or 3200+Venice?

I'm building a new system and plan on OC'ing one of these CPU's.I usually keep my builds for quite awhile.Which one of these do you think would last the longest?

144 out of those two choices. Don't rule out dual core if you plan on keeping it for several years. The extra money spent now will make it a bit nicer towards the end of it's lifespan and slightly (or greatly) better even now depending on what you do.

Ultimate Member
    'Nother vote for the 144 - twice the L2 cache and will probably overclock a little better than the 3200+ Venice

--Jakk

Overclocking and Long life are oxymorons. I would go with the Opteron for the above reasons, plus it is made to be enterprise hardware.

Ultimate Member
    I'm trying to keep the price down so dual is out,also I don't do multitasking.I figured the Opteron would be a better choice and it's only $20 more.Thank ya'll for your input.

I just set up a Opty 144 on a DFI Lanparty and was able to clock it from the 1.8Ghz default to 2.7 on stock voltage and nuthin' fancy air cooling. When I get around to playing with the settings on the Patriot LL memory, I'm shooting for that almighty 3G mark.

Ultimate Member
    Well i've got an Opty 146 running at 2.85GHz. It replaced a 3700+ San Diego which would max out in the low 2.6GHz range.

The stock opty (4 pipe) coolers perform on par with XP-90 coolers and are a lot smaller to boot. That's one of the best things (well if you disregard the Opty binning ), you don't need to go out and grab an aftermarket cooler at a premium price if you look to push it.

The A64s and Opterons don't seem to need much in the way of cooling as long as you don't go crazy with the Vcore on an overclock. I was looking at the copper Zalmans and Thermalright XP series, decided I didn't need to spend that much and I got this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835128001

Cheap, quiet (as long as you don't max out the speed), speed control mounted on 3.5 bay cover and cool blue leds (for windowed cases) and heatpipe technology. If it blows up, you could buy 3 more for what it would cost you for one of those fancy ones.

I guess I have a contrary attitude about overclocking - most folks will spend whatever is necessary to get the fastest. My goal is to get a fast machine at minimal cost. I see folks buying expensive watercooling set-ups - if you have that kind of budget, just buy the faster processor and be done with it.