Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel seen gaining edge over AMD

Intel seen gaining edge over AMD

"...after two analysts speculated..."
    The chips aren't slated for release until Q3. I'm keeping my money under the mattress where its safe(r).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well that would be the smart thing to do, but I honestly feel they are going to do something nice, well lets put it this way they (Need) to do something big to gain some respect they have lost allot of it in the last few years with some really bad Chips.

Conroe is expected to be better than AM2 cpus. That's no secret.

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2716

AMD doesn't have the facilities to produce 65nm chips in quantity yet, so it'll be an uphill battle for them. Same old, same old.

thats a much better review then the one I had, it gives alot more detail.

Intel has been on the back burner for so long now, not many people are going to trust that intel has taken the lead until we see those chips in quantities and see AMD's loss of performance compared to intel. Until that time comes, there is nothing to brag about from intel. they have a faster chip, but it's still in beta testing, and not due to release till Q3. That's more than enough time for AMD to bouce back. We will see what happens.

Ultimate Member
    Given that the release is still about six months away and they already have working CPU's that are outperforming an overclocked FX60, I highly doubt Intel well have any trouble producing an ample quantity of these CPU's when the release date comes.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPistol
    , but it's still in beta testing, and not due to release till Q3. That's more than enough time for AMD to bouce back. We will see what happens.
    yes still in beta and look how well it performs against an OC FX60, that says allot for a beta product dont you think?

And that's not even the "Extreme" edition. So pricing should be more palatable than any FX series chip.

It’s also worth noting that the 2.66GHz E6700 we previewed here is simply a high end mainstream part, it is not an Extreme Edition flavor of Conroe. At 2.8 or 3.0GHz, a Conroe EE would offer even stronger performance than what we’ve seen here.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    yes still in beta and look how well it performs against an OC FX60, that says allot for a beta product dont you think?
    I agree. I'm no AMD fanboy either (To prove this, my gaming rig is a 2.8Ghz P4, and the laptop I'm typing on is a 1.8Ghz Centrino), but AMD may have something up their sleeve that they haven't released to the public yet. I want to see if AMD can take on this challenge by Intel...

However, if they can't, the tides will turn in favor of intel yet again. Just like the days of the P4 Northwoods, only much more powerful. I must say, that is quite a chip for 2.66Ghz. I wonder what thier secret is....

I have liked Intel in the past, but I have more of a wait and see attitude. Arnand has always seemed prejudiced toward Intel and did not acknowledge the A64 as a leader untill it was kicking him in the teeth. It does not matter untill there really is production, who knows what a real production line product can do. Maybe not as good as the beta, maybe better. Bank-for-the-buck moved me from a P-166 to a K6-2, and the Athlon T-Bird 1400 kept me going AMD since (Still have two 1400s), I moved up the XP line and now have three A-64s. Bang-for-the-buck will move me back to Intels fold...if it happens
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Intel can literally force this to come out at the speeds advertised more than likely if they wanted to take a short term loss. Hell, they got the upper end prescotts to 3.8 on dinky stock cooler with some time and some problems, but they did it. They got dual core versions running around the same TDP as well. Quite an accomplishment. One done by force than by finesse, but still done. They also have a six month window on which to improve an already nearly finished chip. If the samples are out and the tapeout it about 6 months away, that's another 2 spins for sure, maybe one more. Intel is in good shape again unless AM2 is wondrous or they fix the problems IBM is having with SOI on 65nm. Remember that IBM gave them full reign to play with 65nm before they even released chips for it. That means IBM hasn't figured it out and needs more help. AMD is the lab rat for this. If AMD is going to stand even or slightly close to it 6 months from now 65nm needs to be ramped up fast. Nobody at AMD is talking about their actual 65nm production ramping (although they have a conference soon, but not at dresden ironically). Look at how the A64 ramped up - it took quite awhile before a decent bit of their production was 90nm. Either they can't get the fab tools in mass (likely with Intel bidding against them, at least IBM will be slightly more sympathetic and has been), can't get the process polished, don't have the money, or more than likely more than one of the above.

Goliath is about to smash David again. That sling isn't cutting it anymore.

Ultimate Member
    Whoa, slow down there, just a wee bit over-dramitic aren't we? I think its a bit too soon to be writing AMD's epitaph just yet. Have we forgotton how badly they were being beatin with the P4 Northwood vs Athlon XP line? While i'm fairly confidant that Conroe will be outperforming its AM2 counterpart for some time to come, I'm also confidant that this is a cycle like it always has been. It may last a year or two, but as with all cycles, the tables will turn yet again... and again... and again.

I'm still waiting on the 10GHz P4! It can't be far off now.

not happening, for next 2 years, AMD cpu is out performed INTEL.