Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Intel seen gaining edge over AMD

Well, we're not all as susceptible to marketing as you may think. What if this "pre-release" of the Core 2 Duo is just that - marketing? For all we know, these CPUs may be ringers and the actual models may be neutered. No one has seen a production version yet.

They sold you, so I guess their marketing worked.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Bill's right.

Let's see what production silicon is like in machines real people can buy. No engineering samples, just OEM tray and retail box. Once they're out, look at the tests, then decide which is best for your needs.

Buying decisions should always be based around price and availability when you're buying, not the next best thing since sliced bread due out in x weeks. Once it's out, then we should know.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarBill
    They sold you, so I guess their marketing worked.
    But you see, this isn't marketing. This is other real world people with the chips in their hands. Yes, they are engineering samples, but it would be stupid on Intel's part to release a chip that's weaker than these are. I think these are the chips we will see when Core 2 Duo is released at the end of July.

I agree about price and availability. I'm not going to pay $1000 for a 2.6Ghz Core 2 Duo that should cost around $300-500. Based on what I'm hearing from some of the people with insider information (wheather this is true or not, I don't know), Dell is probably going to suck up every Core 2 Duo chip that's initially released given their very close partnership with Intel. It could be months before we actually see retail chips, so AMD has some time to answer, and with their given availability, it would be a good time to kick intel in the hiney.

*does a fanboy cheer*

I'm not a fanboy. If you read the reviews on the Core 2 Duo's you will see that they are vastly superior to AMD's current offerings.

Also, Step 5 of the Core 2 Duo has been released as engineering samples. It is rumored that these are the chips we will see in retail. For reference, a 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo can overclock to 4Ghz on air If things stay like this, I will be getting one of those chips.

thats one of the main reasons I didnt and havent upgraded yet, I was going with an AMD FX but I am happy I held off for as long as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCrusher
    thats one of the main reasons I didnt and havent upgraded yet, I was going with an AMD FX but I am happy I held off for as long as I did.

Well keep holding off and wait for the next big one that is always around the corner.... how did you ever advance past a Commodore 64 or Osborne?
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pandaz3
    Well keep holding off and wait for the next big one that is always around the corner.... how did you ever advance past a Commodore 64 or Osborne?
    I didn’t because I never owned them such helpful info , did you think of that all by yourself?

you’re more than likely a compulsive shopper eh. Way to go with the helpful input on this thread ill note that and use it next time I go shopping.

Given everything I've seen, I would say Core 2 Duo is a better processor than the Athlon64x2. Having said that, I'm happy with my Athlon x2 system, but the Core 2 Duo wasn't available when I bought.

Once it hits the stores, see how much performance is available at what price, and go with what best suits your needs. If I were to buy another system at the end of the year I would very likely go Core 2 Duo, but it's only very likely at this point because I don't know how much it will cost here in Canada and how many will trickle down to retail.
    "Dude you're getting a Dell." Obscure curse from the early 21st Century, ascribed to a minor demon-spirit known as "Stephen?" [sp].

Dude, if you've already got an Athlon X2, I would say keep it and wait until the next big architecture comes out. As for me, I'm still stuck on a lowly 2.8Ghz P4 system, so I'm in need of an upgrade.

Also, I just figured out today that my current job isn't paying me what I expected it to. It looks like I won't be building that new rig before summer is over.

My X2's a 3800+ overclocked to 2.4GHz and I'm great with it. The only reason I'd build a new system this year is if the gf's system (she has a PIII) dies and I can finally wean her off WinME. In the meantime she uses my Centrino laptop as much or more than her own system so who knows.

Interesting that you say that the regular computer shopper doesn't hear much about AMD, you go to best buy and about 80% of the computers on their storeroom floor is an amd based machine from gateway or HP or sony...I still don't know what to think, amd has a tendancy to keep their mouths shut on the up coming processors at a time like this till just before it's released. you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by DKJones96
    you go to best buy and about 80% of the computers on their storeroom floor is an amd based machine from gateway or HP or sony...
    Actually, I think it's the other way around. I used to work @ Circuity City, and I've been in Best Buy, and Intel still controls the majority of the market. People have this weird tendency to think that "More expensive means better performance" Since the P4 and Pentium D machines are usually a little more than the Athlon 64 machines. However, AMD has been doing some major advertising on their current systems, so I think they finally have stepped up a little for competition sakes, especially with Conroe just around the corner.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD

come to think of it...i don't think i've ever seen an AMD commercial on the tv...

Quote Originally Posted by DKJones96
    come to think of it...i don't think i've ever seen an AMD commercial on the tv...
    I've seen a few, but that's not what I meant. I mean there are all kinds of interactive demos on HP's and Compaq's with AMD processors that are geared towards luring people over to their machines.

In terms of TV adds though, Intel is still a beast, and AMD gets the leftovers.
    Core 2 Duo E6600 | eVGA 680i SLI | eVGA 8800 GTX | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair XMS2 2GB PC2-6400 800mhz @ 4-4-4-12 | Western Digital 500GB Caviar HDD | OCZ GameXStream 700-watt PSU | 24" Acer X241W LCD