Thread: XP Barton Mobile 3000+ How high can it go?

XP Barton Mobile 3000+ How high can it go?

Looking for some info about what to expect when OC an XP 3000 Barton Mobile as I was not able to find any related reviews on this particular chip.

As default chip runs at 2.2 Ghz ( 16.5 x 133 ) at 1.65V.

I know an OC around 2.5 - 2.7 is normal for lower mobile models.

Thank you.

Ultimate Member
    2.7 is not normal at all, it is lucky. Very few will do 2.7GHz stable on air cooling. I've built two PC's in the past on Mobile 2600+ and both topped out at around 2.5GHz and ran pretty warm at that speed even with an all copper zalman cooler. One of the two suddenly stopped working over a year ago, the other is still going strong.

Any experience with a 3000 ?

In bartons (at least the unlocked ones) the major differance seamed to be the binning and voltages. The better chips typically got binned higher and were sold for more $ but lower rated chips some times performed as well or better.
    I don't have experience with the 3000 but got 3 bartons above 2.5 ghz 2 above 2.6 ghz and one into the mid-high 2.7 ghz range (before it fried) (3 chips total). all at relatively reasonable voltages. The 2.6 and 2.7 ghz chips were mobiles.
    Heat sinks are somewhat better today and the chips seamed to clock better near the end of the model run...So 2.8 to 2.9 Ghz is not improbable. Memory, and mobo will be big contributorst o your success, also.
    Its basicly the luck of the draw.
    Both the 2.5 and 2.6 gig chips still run fine more than 2 years later at 2.5+ and 2.6+Ghz.
    Enjoy!

And the answer is: 2575 Mhz, at least the one I got.

That is a 206 FSB x 12.5 Multi @ 2.125 V Core......on air with a Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

I've tried 207 fsb all the way up to 2.2 V core to no use, will not pass Sandra with temps getting arround 61 C.

I could go all the way to 2.3 V on the Abit but no thanks, that's a little too rich for my taste.

FYI: My previous 2600 Mobile was doing 2.7 ( 200 x 13.5 @ 1.85 V) on a custom built water system with temps in the low to high 30's until I fried it because during maintenance I did not plug the pump ( daH! ). Yes, Sh*t happens.

Anyway, after that I decided to move away from WC, got this amazing cooler ( Highly recommended to anyone ) , and tried my luck on this 3000 Mobile.

After all I have to say .......not bad for this great Ebay deal at $35.00 S&H included.

Congrats... I got my best OCs on the bartons after going to an uber bois and by improving the cooling on the northbridge. There is a point beyond which the heat seems to take a jump. I set the ones still running just under that point.
    Enjoy!