Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Elder Scroll Oblivion

Ultimate Member
    I've had a couple of strange bugs with this admittedly - whever i exit, Oblivion.exe crashes, i also had one tonight where i was able to noclip though everythign without having actually enabled noclip. That said, given the size of this project, im not suprised there are a lot of issues - that said, its still playable, and is one of many "great but bugged" titles from over the years that deserve to be stuck with. Indeed, the only issue i have is the LOD ugliness when drawing distant textures, but that can be addressed with numerous community mods.

The first patch is apparently on the way, and is aimed at fixing bugs, as well as adding two more quests to the game.

--Jakk

I've gone to great lengths to be able to play this game - using the nforce 84.25 beta drivers instead of 84.21 has made a difference. I've started oc'ing cpu/mem and video. I've been experimenting with some of the oblivion.ini tweaks, defragged, stripped down services to bare minimum and installed 4 recommended LOD mods.

Result: the game now looks better, but there are still fps issues - I'm now happy to sit in the hills watching the grass waft in the breeze as the sun rises. I can at least see the potential there - this game is really pushing the envelope in terms of what's possible with graphics. I think the improvement is more to do with the driver update than anything else, but difficult to be certain as I wasn't very systematic in my changes. I'm now running at 1280x1024 and getting fps problems in certain areas, but the strange thing is that at 1024x768 doesn't seem to make much difference to fps. I'm beginning to look at cpu/mem as the bottleneck - it's a 3G P4 oc'd to 3.6G and there's 2Gig Kingston PC3200 DDR. The MB is a P4P800, so no PCI-E - maybe this is another problem area. I don't generally have graphics issues, but I guess that Oblivion is a whole step up from the norm. So it's either time to upgrade, or maybe I should give in and buy an xbox. If I did upgrade, I think I'd do a new build with an AMD64, PCI-E, DDR3 and SLI. The writing's on the wall for my system.

This is more in relation to new games in general but I have a 6600GT 128MB AGP card. Now do upgrading to the latest drivers make any sense or would they hurt my card more than help since a lot of the new drivers are aimed towards SLI cards? I remember when I had my TI4200 there was a point where I read that the latest drivers would actually decrease performance of the card.
    Visionology Interactive Media
    http://www.visim.com