Thread: Questioning the Legality of Editing a Game

Questioning the Legality of Editing a Game

Hello,

In lieu of the crappier baseball games out now, I reinstalled last year's MVP Baseball 2005 for the PC by EA Sports. However, I was wondering, if I have no plans on distributing it or anything like that, is it technically legal to modify the game's application file?

I'm not referring to a "no-cd hack" or anything like that. I'm just wondering if I could - in theory - modify the application so that everything converts to 2006, would that be illegal?

I'm really not sure if this kind of thing falls into the category of "modding" a game or just outright piracy.

Thanks!
    2005 Champion: Solitaire Nationals

You bought the game, you can do whatever you want with it as long as you don't distribute any of the copyrighted material.

It violates most user agreements, which makes it a civil offense. But in order to get awarded damages, the company would have to prove you either made money from their intelectual property, or caused them to loose money (same thing to a court in most respects).

As for criminal law, every one I've seen delt with sales/distribution.

So it's probably unlawful in that it breaks a lawfully binding contract, but not illegal because of the lack of penalties :P

bah!... as long as it remains inside your computer, i see nothing wrong with it.

they can only get you to court, if you start giving it away for free

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Like I said, all the penalties I'm familiar with deal with distribution.

Hmmm....

Now this is what I wanted to hear!

I'm not looking to distribute the file or anything like that, just modify it for my use. And, like own said - I bought the dang thing.

To take this a step further, if I figured out how to change the programming so that the game read "2006" instead of "2005", would it then be illegal - not morally wrong - to tell others how to do this?

I think this latter question falls onto a fine line. Then again, this wouldn't "hurt" sales. Heck, with 2005 being the last MLB title EA can make, this could have an adverse effect.

I know this is also getting ahead of myself, but I'm just curious, you know?

Thanks!

It's not illegal to tell people how to do things, but there is liability for the publisher. What I'm saying is, you can go around and verbally instruct people, but as soon as you put it on a site, the site owner becomes legally responsible for the damage caused. You say no damage? Do you know how devious lawyers can be? Hell, breathing in public damages the oxygen content of the air, you can be sued for almost anything in public. And so goes publicizing your modification.

I think I see your point. Oh well, I'm still going to work at updating it even if I am the only one who will enjoy it!

Thanks!