Thread: CPU upgrading

CPU upgrading

Hi. I have a few questions. I'm not too PC savvy, but I understand a little.
    1.What if I wanted to upgrade my AMD Athlon 1700 XP to a P4 system? What do I need to know so that it will function best with the things I have? What things do I need to look for?
    2.What is FSB and how much do I need?
    3.Is L1 and L2 cache still important? Should I have at least 1M in each? I don't know what this does.
    4.I have right now Win 98 SE, which I want to up to Win XP home, GeForce 5700 FX vidcard, 512MB DDRAM, SoundblasterLive 5.1, CD-WR and DvD player
    5.Will a faster processor help me play games like DaoC faster or better--with no problems? If not, what will help--what do I need? How do I perfect this system that I have with the least amount of expense? (Don't have a lot of money)
    Thanks for any ideas.

1. Ain't gonna happen. They use completely different architectures. You'd be looking for a new computer instead.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_side_bus

3. L1 and L2 cache are important. You won't find a 1MB L1, but there are chips with 1MB or more L2. Generally more is better, but latency also comes into play.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

4. you're better off buying a new computer with xp home on it already.

5. A better video card would help more, but a faster cpu wouldn't hurt.

You need to do your own research also. Wikipedia and Google are your friends.

1. "No Can Do" - that method impossible, you can only upgrade from Athlon to a higher Athlon at best. which mean, you will need to buy a whole new computer (mobo+cpu+ram)

2. you don't need to worry about that now in days, unless you plan to OverClock

3. the more cache the better, so if you want more speed, then spend more money on the cache, is worth it if you are a heavy Gamer, otherwise useless for regular office task and web surfing

4. no problem, any OS you want

5. faster yes, no problems, no

6. like the old saying, if you want something Good, you'll have to fork out More (no such thing as cheap and good)

i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

you'll probably have to buy a new computer set. new mobo, processor, RAM maybe.

your video card is not bad, try to get a 512mb ddr400 or add one more 512mb.

so you're a gamer, i suggest you upgrade from amd athlon xp to amd 64 models especially the socket 939 models of athlon 64. for the mobo, get the asrock 939dual sata II.