Thread: Re-install drivers problems???

Re-install drivers problems???

like lads and lass

I did a stpuid thing and said that I would have a look at my neighbours PC cos they couldnt get it to even go on....duh..mistake

anyhow...I eventaully formatted and re-isntalled windows from their back-up disks and now trying to instal all of the drivers. So far...I have chipset, audio and graphics...all good. However, their is also a TV card..card reader etc. etc. That I'm trying to insatlll also. The driver disk that came with the Medion PC (I think its German...cos I cant read any of the instuctions) has the following on it...(see attached file)....what do I do with the stuff on that disk to insatll the drivers????
    Attached Images Attached Images

please use the full file extensions next time. looks like there are some inf files there. you would need to manually install them from the device manager.

Let’s start with one device as an example: name and model please.

Download the driver and tell me what the device is.

Give me a link and name of the driver so that I can extract and examine it.

guys..thanks for the comments...I was a bit vague

files types are inf's i think...but not sure how to install these...see attached cd contents with file types.

I think all is OK apart from both the TV tuner card and the modem...cant install these. The drivers are also on the medion homepage but dont have setup files?

Goto...http://www.medion.co.uk/

service and support....product drivers and updates...and enter the following serial number

Thanks

the setups just direct windows to the .inf files. the inf files are the real drivers. haven't you installed drivers manually before?

to into device manager. right click on the offending device, then click update driver. direct windows to the driver folder and see if it detects the device. this is the same rule for other devices.

Are these the files for your devices?

See image.
    • File Type: png 1.png (8.9 KB, 130 views)

If you are using the modem under WinXP, download and extract the file. It will extract to C:\Medion.

The file in question is named:

modctxdspwxp

Now go to My Computer. In a non-icon area right-click and click on Properties. You will see from my image the Systems Properties applet. Click on the Hardware tab and then Device Manager.

The Device Manager will show all the devices installed on your system and some with exclamation marks ( ! ).

For the modem you may have the heading within the Device Manager applet, Communications, or Other Device and an exclamation mark.

Right-click on the unknown device with the exclamation mark and click on Update Driver… The Hardware Update Wizard will appear.

Click on “Install from a list or specified location (Advanced).” Click Next.

Enable/check the button “Include this location in the search”. Just type in

C:\Medion\WinXP\ctxs51.inf

Or browse to the folder.

If you did open up the Medion folder in C:\Medion\WinXP you will see the .ini file called ctxs51.inf (without the extension ctxs51). This is what the Hardware Update Wizard will find once you click on Next once C:\Medion\WinXP is in the “Include this location in the search”.

It will find the ctxs51.inf file and then all you have to do is click on Finish or follow any further instructions.

Follow the same instructions above but as if it was the TV device this time around.

If you find the image poor download it and open it in Paint for example or some other image capable program.
    • File Type: png 1.png (41.0 KB, 122 views)

haha...nice one.

And no I have never installed drivers manually before......never had too

Thanks Guys

You must have a lot of idle time, G. hehe

If you never did manual installs, I guess you didn't have the displeasure of working with Win3.1 or NT. lucky you.

The first PC I ever built and installed all drivers/software etc. was on windows XP when it first came out....3 1/2 years ago. Since then I have built about 12 systems...re-installed window's on many PC's maybe 20-30 times....and nope have never had to install a driver manually.

Learn somethine new every day though. Cheers..

On the contrary MK, I was in the middle of proof-reading a 64, 000 word "More Than Just A Glossary" for Genie Backup Manager ready for their CEBIT conference.

Saying you need to use the .inf file is fine, but sometimes it needs detailed step-by-step instructions in order for the requester to understand the process.

Sometimes one has to go that extra mile so that it makes sense.

We’ve all be there so why not go the extra mile I thought. I have less time to contribute on Sysopt.com now but when I can I’m more than happy to reduce the grief.

So are you ok now bblq87?

If the asnwer is yes, then I guess I was right to go the extra mile

Dang. I was just ribbing you, man. Hope CEBIT goes well.

It's good that someone takes the extra effort. I'm just spotchecking here most of the time. Just gotta make sure the boss doesn't catch me.

I know you were MK

Thanks for your kind words. The Executive Vice President has said he loves my work and is well happy.

I did it for free and it will be about 150,000 words by the time I've completed V2.

That's why I get disappointed with some members comments on this board when I offer discounted software. They use it, and my work but critisee me regardless.

I write, test and moderate their Genie software’s forum free of charge as I think it is the best. Just wait until you see V7 - awesome. It takes considerable amounts of my time. The “More Than Just A Glossary” took in total 8 months of hard graft. I have another 6 months of the same for V2. My own time and sacrifice just to help others from grief.

I don’t mind at all but some of the comments and back stabbing that went on these boards even though I have helped no end on Systop.com was a shock. To these people they are history and will get nothing more from me. I have a rubber-neck so I don’t give a toss what they say or think of me. Genuine members here know me for who I am.

I’m actually going to be on it again all night tweaking it ready for the second revised PDF that will be available free to all whether one is a Genie software customers or not.

BPB has a copy, ask him what he thinks, as does Blueharmonic.

Catch you later buddy and keep up the great work you do on the boards