Thread: Loading XP Pro in new system

Loading XP Pro in new system

When loading XP on a new harddrive I'm getting an error message. File perc2.sys is corrupted. This is a version of XP with SP2 included. The setup fails at this point each time. Any ideas.

This is an older system: Abit BX6 R2, 300mhz celeron, 80gb WD IDE

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    The CD is bad. Try another XP CD.

I did try an older CD but it too hangs at the point where it tries to start XP. I also thought it was the CD and trying to get some help from the supplier.

Ultimate Member
    See if you can read the Windows OS cd on another pc with something
    like isobuster or just try to view it thru explorer .. if you can, then try burning
    it to a new cd ... you may need to use the slowest (say 4x) read & write speeds
    for best results .. then try it again on the system you want to load it on .. you may
    also have a bad cd drive on the system you are trying to use it on

I can see the files on my other PC's and I did try another seperate XP disc with the same results. Is there something from a hardware perspective that could be causing this issue? Both disc now are failing after the files are loaded and Windows tries to start for the first time.

Hardware is a possibility ... ram , HDD or the optical drive . Get a copy of UBCD , you can find a link in Tech Tools . Test the memory and hdd . No memory errors are allowed and if the hdd has errors , zero write the drive, to see if that helps .
    Since it is an older system (slot 1?) , take a good look around at the caps on the mobo and psu for any bulging or leakers . http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

It could be a memory issue or other haraware..but try this...Get someone to copy your XP disk. When they burn it..burn at the slowest speed. Sometimes older CD/ Roms have trouble reading disks that are newer. Works most everytime.My guess would be the burn or copy speed is faster than the reading speed of your hardware.Post back and let me know if this worked

300mhz celeron? that rig is gonna run SLOW even if you get winxp on there.

RM has the right idea. make sure you HW is solid before continuing, especially on an old system.

New Hard drive should be ok..most are tested and ship without problems..probably is not that..but check..really..I work for a city goverment and they sell old PC routinely. Most are these 300's ...I have installed XP on 5 of them..same problem..install goes well then a file comes up as corupted during setup..reburned the XP disk at 8x and install went smooth as silk. You can always try it. But I am almost postive this is the problem and the fix to it as well.

Yea, I would agree that the 300 mhz Cel is a little slow. I did try everything including changing out the processor with a little quicker 400 mhz cel. Was still having the same issue. I went through so many diagnostics, I don't even remember what I tried, but, finally I have a version of XP loading on that PC. Thanks for the help. Can I burn the XP disc successfully? I guess I've never really tried to do this until now.