Thread: ATI9800XT Strange Thing.anyone else?

ATI9800XT Strange Thing.anyone else?

Hello...

OK..I bought a ATI (made by) 9800Pro sometime back..I flashed it to 9800XT, replaced the stock fan with a Artic Cooler..

The card ran fine..no problems with it..UNTIL

One night I was doing some CAD work, again everything OK...I saved my work, shut the PC off and after about 4 hours I went back to work..

I turned on the PC, got my normal BEEP, BUT just a black screen..I mean no nothing on the screen..so I rebooted (hit reset)...same thing..this time I noticed my hard drive light working, after about the same time it would boot up to a normal screen, like it was doing a disk check..

So to make it short..I took the card out my PC, tried it in my spare, same thing..BLANK..so ..I said..bad card..went and bought a X850Pro..put it in my PC..all happy again...The other night..I took the Artic Cooler off of the 9800 card and put back the stock fan..but for the heck of it, before I threw it out, I tried it in the spare PC...The DANG thing worked..and I mean ran fine..even tried it my PC..again..it ran fine

So, could a fan cause this? Or WHAT?
    I know...strange..and no..I was not drinking..

Card probably was loose - removing the card and sticking it back in right rectified that.

I thought of that...I took it out and replaced it a few times...But, for now it is working and its in the spare PC..
    This is just one of things I would like to understand...I know...good luck...LOL