Thread: Think i'll get this instead...Mobo..

Think i'll get this instead...Mobo..

After so much hassle trying to get my so called latest new mobo to work right and play games.... ( ASRock dual Sata 2 ) , i think i will call it a good try. I couldn't for the life of me..ever get this to play all my games using an AGP card with my X2 3800 CPU, despite rading very forum and trying all, sugestions and driver loads and reloads.
    Who has the itme for all this??? its been well over three weeks and everything is and has been done right... including bios... so it is up for sale somewhere.

Turns out with my recent having to move and not having to pay rent this month.., i could have just bought a good SLI board and the SLI video card,,,,,but i did not know what the future held back then..so?? I will be about $250.00 ahead by the months start...;

I am pretty much set on getting a good high end premium Asus board. Also already made up my mind to get this:

Asus A8N-E Nforce4 Ultra ATX AMD motherboard. All five star reviews and from what it states by reviewers...is very fast and flawless. Same great features and dependability as my previous Asus board.... ($96.00 at NewEgg.com

Shoot i just wasted another $76.00 on this current board. A shame because it does everything else real well.... Just don't have the time to fiddle with it forever.

If i need to i will save a bit and get the 6800GS vdeo card and i will be very hapy it can play all games and in very good quality and framerates.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

I have the ASUS A8N-E, Opteron 148, a XFX 6800GS XXX, 2 x 512 PC3200XL, 1 WD SATA II 250 HDD, X-fi Platinum, XP Home and all the updates. I have the 1010 BIOS as I have been to lazy to flash 1011. I love this setup. I think you may be happier with your X2 3800.

I think the ASRock fills a niche, but it seems skimpy on the BIOS side. My #2 computer does have a ULi 1689 chipset and is a great computer at stock speed, but there is no PCI lock so it is a poor overclocker

back to the ASUS A8N-E, I was looking for a unavailable ABIT AN8 Ultra when I bought the ASUS. I had never had an ASUS before Set up was incredibly smooth, I think mine had the 1003 BIOS on it and the 1008 was newest. This was my first Nvidia Video card too and first PCI-E. I made sure my HDD was hooked to #1 Nvidia SATA header and Windows installed like a dream...No F6, No Floppy drivers. I only used a sound card as I had one.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

Well. just for the heck of it i thought i'd respond here again and say i am still trying to get this board to work with the drivers installed right and the DX 9.0c

Now.. I've been going through a number of things and mostly i am finding it strange that if I start out with the DX 9.0C installed and the dialog menu asying all the Display options are enabled i play a few games and they work fine.. then after I reenter or whatever the problem is somewhere along the line my grpahics ( shaders go bonkers and i get either a freeze or wierd pixels or error messages sayig the DX8shders are not loading properly or even the dynamic link library for kernal cannot be accessed.
    Somehwere it seems the drivers or whatever are not being consistent and even messing up the card which uses DX 9.0c.
    Is this possible??

Funny as when the short time everything works... the card and graphics look the best i've seen yet... Unfortunately... it may be the CPU is too much for this good ole video card ( FX5900 ) as it eventually goes sour somewhere along the line and i get shader errors and onscreen pixel problems. Many times the mobo reboots or even turns the display off. sigh!....

Sure glad i have my othe board as it looks to me as though i am again at the end of my rope. Day after day of trying to find the problem and just when i got it fixed..or so it seems.. it goes bonkers once more.
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

It kind of sounds like you have a heat/cooling problem with the system or the PSU.
    Rig 1, MSI K9A2 Platinum, 6400 Blackie, 2 X 2048 AData, MSI 3870; Rig 2, MSI K9A2 CF, 5000 Blackie, 2 X 1024 Patriot PC6400, ATI X1900 XT, Rig 3, Abit AN8 Fatal1ty, Opteron 185, 2 X 1024 Corsair PC3200C2PT ATI X1950 XTX Rig 4 Abit UL8 3800 X850 Pro

As i woke up today i could not haelp but thiink about this again... and yes.. the thought occured to me that the PSU might not be powering the video card properly...
    Only thing is its just difficult to check this and tell. From my power supply I have the three plug ( splitter ) that has three four pin main connectors. two of these go to my HD's and the other to my video card.
    Everything else in my system runs perfect. No freezes or hints of PSU problems and my readings are stable and above avg.
    I really think its the board drivers..still. The video card readings and temps are very good and normal also.
    Mostly... it seems that something is messing with DX 9.0c as i recheck that after problems and it checks out most of the time... all display options enabled and files are fine.

Right now as always i am once again determined to find the problem.. (O which is not like me ) as my patience is wearing thin. This CPU is awesome and hate to have to revert back to my old system... but.... I want to play all my games period. Not just some or once in a blue moon...when it decides to operate right..if at all.

The cooling is fine also..as i have listed my specs here many times... full tower...six internal fans.... and system monitor readings at below normal...

Whats funny is that when i did a fresh re-format and install.. most games worked fine for awhile with the disk drivers that came with the board.

Some who have dual core CPU's on other boards said the 81.98 series of Nvidia drivers were not as adverstised for this CPU setup and caused problems... One guy siad he ws using the 82.62 or some such.. but those are quadro drivers.... Who knows... I have got my games to play fine for short periods like three levels or?? ,then I get DX issues and freezes and lockups and or reboots.

Pretty sure the bios is fine as i have tinkered with that back and forth and have the latest for this board.... The fact that everything else is fine and stable means that it must be OK.

Just a mindbend that never goes away... I'll keep trying ..then its back to putting my old board and CPU back in and saving for another day of new Mobo and video card.. LOL

Just a long overdue update... scratch all of the above that I wrote...AGAIN!

I got this fine mobo working finally a few days ago and the graphics look perfect and got it to run everytihng... Very stable board.... Would recommend it to anybody...incredible buy.
    If anybody has this annd might have probllems.. then my suggestion is to set evrything in the bios to your ram timings..(general... common snese ) ....AGP to 4X for older cards like mine ( FX5900 ) and 2T for four dimms and auto for two slots ...and only use the 2.13 ULI AGP integrated controller and then load up your vdieo card drivers....and sit back and watch it fly... perfect.! 8X settings are more than likely for the newer more powerful cards... LOL

Good to hear, I am still waiting on ABIT's UL8 Pro which has been released in December for China, but not the US or Europe.

Yeah.. I'm happy as a lark. i cannot believe i spent like two months with this and really was about to give up... but I kept reading from so many others how the board was actually very good... I never have any bootup problems..and now have the bios settings good to go... Cas 2.0 for me memoory which i got from a benchmark utility.. Very stable board. Love this X2 3800...

Of course if i had the dough I would love to get a machine or upgrade like some of thoise guys who have the upper echelon machines.. but it is still very fast and good enough for me... As long as it runs the games and everything else good... LOL

hooked on asus

Ive been a big fan of asus motherboards from the start, proberly because of the great responce they get. Never had any trouble with any of them that i have installed. I now have a a8v, i also bought a thermaltake venus heatsink which is awesome, keeps the cpu really cool, never gets much higher than 35c when gaming. I bought a 7800gs card from newegg short while ago and got a %70 percent increase over my 6600gt card. Theres no end to this upgradeing, wish i could upgrade my wife lol.
    MICHAEL POWERS

Quote Originally Posted by mowerss1
    Ive been a big fan of asus motherboards from the start, proberly because of the great responce they get. Never had any trouble with any of them that i have installed. I now have a a8v, i also bought a thermaltake venus heatsink which is awesome, keeps the cpu really cool, never gets much higher than 35c when gaming. I bought a 7800gs card from newegg short while ago and got a %70 percent increase over my 6600gt card. Theres no end to this upgradeing, wish i could upgrade my wife lol.
    Just show her this post!

I do like ASUS two built two in Decemberand really like them. Still want a UL8 pro though

I started reading this and was feeling bad (again) for recommending the setup to you - then I saw the date after reading a few post down. Glad everything's working finally. What got everything stable for you? I remember you went through quite a bit to get it that way (more than most).

SS.. If your talking about me..then it was some simple things...as usual. I just had the AGP cranked to 8X ,which was one of the main problems...so i turned it to 4X and discovered also that I had installed one more driver than ws needed. Only the Lan and 2.13 integrated are needed.

Plays about 99.9% of all my games beautiful..no problems now.. I also made sure i was running at DDR400 and 2T timings...( for four banks ).. All other is either on auto and all HT and other are on....

I wouldn't mind OC'ing it some and think i have the OC forum notes still in my documents... Thanks for the input.. LOL