Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Whats gone wrong?

the prime 95 I have is a windows application. You recon a clean intall is required....can I image my main drive onto another drive to boot...or is it just screwed?
    no errors on the RAM yet....allthough I think I might RMA it anyway seeing all the problems with these sticks...what u think?

yup. it's on UBCD.

Tech Tools

try doing a repair install. you can corrupt files when OCing.

If you can, I would RMA the ram and exchange them for another brand, like I suggested.

Actually...I'd RMA both sticks of RAM, and put the new ones in.

You may or may not have to repair/reinstall. Sounds like you will...but, do you really want to do it at this time anyways, since you know your RAM is so flaky?

I'm just not a big fan of doing repairs/reinstalls if I don't have to...

I'm doing a repair install now...cos I at least want to get some of my game save files back.....hopefully will work....then I can do a fresh install on my winodws drive

I will RMA both 1Gb sticks If i can.....just have to see if I can exchange for another type.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but the last time I saw that many errors in Memtest it wa scaused by an overheated and thermally damaged CPU.

try underclocking the CPU to see if that cures the errors! If it does - you'll know where the problem lies.

had problems doing a repair install....have put back in my spare stick of crucial 3200.....and just got 26400...yes 26400 errors and it hasnt even done 50 of a pass yet....funny cos it just ran for near 1 1/2"hours with my ballistix in without errors. If it is the CPU then that is also still under warrenty.....but i dont believe the temps in this system have ever gone above 50c....if the cpu was damaged...i didnt think it would work at all? You know...this sux big time...haha
    not sure what to do next????

one thing i noticed...in the bIOS...my CPU temp is running at 35.....and the chipset temp is sitting at 46-47C....is the chipset temperature normal?????

on air cooling it's not normal to have the chipset temp higher than the cpu temp - something's not quite right there.

CPU's can become damaged by heat and still work fine until they reach a certain temperature! That's exactly what happened with my 2600+ a few years ago. The hotter it got, the more errors I saw in memtest - the longer it ran, the hotter it got.

I can get another AMD 64 bit based PC for a few hours later to test all the bits in another system and try and identify what has gone faulty...the plan is to insert my two sticks Ballistix RAM into it...metest it for an hour...boot into windows and benchmark a few times. If all OK with that...I will take my CPU out and stick it in the other system...go into windows... benchmark a few times and run Prime95 for an hour or so. I think this should show up an errors with my RAM or CPU. If all goes well the it looks like my motherboard is at fault.
    Would you say this is a good way to find the problem? or can I try something else...a better way maybe?

Whassup guys..

whats the best way to test ur CPU for errors?

I have been using prime95 using the 'maximum FPU' option...as it seems the best way to test the CPU by iteslf. The other options in Prime95 test some memory as well.
    I have ran memtest86 on my 2G of ballsitix ram now for 2 hours twice since yesterday an it hasnt reported errors at all.
    Prime 95 earlier with my own CPU never gave errors...but booted out of the program automatically on two occasions. I have another 64bit AMD CPU in ny which I borrowed from my buddy....running P95 with maximum FPU and it seems to be going well so far for near an hour.

Its beginning to look like my CPU has problems. ANy better way to test the CPU only?

Ultimate Member
    Swap it out .. easiest way ... you will need it if it is bad anyway

IF it will boot into Winders....you can use CPU Burn...

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/

yep...its going into windows OK...I re-insalled windows last night. But still seem be getting random blue screens...and a couple of wipeouts using prime.

I always thought that if a CPU went fualy...it just wouldnt operate properly at all....but seems to be routine tasks OK. Temps are still good....staying under 40 also! I'm still slightly confused about this.

well there goes my CPU theory.....system has just blue screened three times in 5 minutes with the following message

STOP 0x00000008E (****, ***etc.

also screened the error message on reboot to windows (attached)....anyone know what this means???

Cheers