Thread: Internet connection keeps disconnecting.

Internet connection keeps disconnecting.

Hello again, Now i'm having a problem with my internet connection. About every 3 minutes when it's idle it will disconnect and a box will appear saying no internet connection is available, try again or work off line. When I click try again the connection reconnects. I was messing around with my broadband connection the other day when this started. After I used ccleaner I could'nt connect to the internet. So I went into control panel and used the internet connection wizzard to make another connection. It just now showed the box: No internet connection is available, Work offline or try again. I have already tryed to find a setting in the properties of my connection and I don't see anything to set. Could someone please help me with this? I'm using XP. With a linskys router.

Thank's, John

I went into my router and found that it was set to idle time 5 minutes. I changed it to 60 minutes. Also there was a setting that said Keep Alive: redial period thirty seconds. That is unchecked.?? Am I on the right track?

Hey guys and gals that wasn't the darn problem. I need help, this is driving me batty!

Broadband is an "Always on" connection! It should never disconnect while the computer is switched on.

It sounds like you may be mistakenly using a dial-up modem connection instead of your Bb?

Check "Internet Options>Connections" and select "Never Dial a Connection".

I looked for that and it's not checked, do you think someone else might be using this connection?

Quote Originally Posted by jon46y
    I looked for that and it's not checked, do you think someone else might be using this connection?

you went to "Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections[tab]" and set it to "Never Dial A Connection"? If you didn't - you should.

And No! I don't think someone else might be using the connection. I think you have mistakenly set up a modem connection when you used the wizard - you can find out in your network folder - look for what your new connection is using to connect - Modem or Network Adaptor.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I had a friend call me. Anyway I have it set up to connect through a broadband connection that is always on. And the more I think about it it was doing this before I used ccleaner. I'll tell you one thing it really sucks. I can't find the option you are talking about in Connections. When I click on Lan settings everything is unchecked, should anything in that box be checked? Also the option your talking about, I can't find it in connections?

Thank's for your help, John.
    Last edited by jon46y; 02-23-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Hello, Strawbs I found what you were talking about. The reason I didn't catch it the first time is because it was darkened out and it matched the color I'm using. Anyway you were right it was checked incorrectly. I made a few changes and the internet has not lost it's connection again!

Thank You for taking the time to help me, John

No Problem.