Thread: Motherboard USB ports ALL DEAD!

Motherboard USB ports ALL DEAD!

It happened all at once. I booted my PC and plugged in my phones USB connection. I first noticed the USB keyboard and mouse were not working so I tried my USB drive on all the ports and I couldn't get it to detect either. I have tried everything I can think of to fix them. I first uninstalled the USB’s in device manager and reinstalled. I reinstalled the latest chipset drivers and still the ports do not work. USB is enabled in the bios. Device manager detects them no problem and displays they are working properly, but when I plug a USB device in either the four rear or two front ports and nothing happens. I suspect there is something bad on the motherboard.

Any ideas? All of them worked the day before.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G running a 3.0 P4 and 1 GB of ram.

Thanks in advance!

Try clearing CMOS according to instructions. Also examine the motherboard for bad capacitors.

www.badcaps.net

http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index27.htm
    MS MCP, MCSE

Sounds logical

I'll look for bad capicitors. How will wiping the CMOS help? USB is enabled.

Sigh. Do you need a reason? Would you rather buy a new motherboard and reinstall Windows?

CMOS can get scrambled as a result of static or a power surge. Unplug the PC, open the case and remove the battery for a few seconds.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Ok, I think there is a jumper I can remove to clear the CMOS. I have also tried wiping the OS and reinstalling it fresh. That was my last resort but it didn't work either.

I guess I could get a PCI USB card and scrap the onboard USB connections.

Thanks for all your help!

Sometimes, when this kind of thing happens the motherboard starts dying a slow death. I would suggest putting a few coin away for a few months just in case your board dies.

I put in a USB PCI card for the time being and it is working properly. I lose my front USB though. Interesting that there is still power going to these dead USB ports. I can still charge my phone through them, just no data connectivity.

Try this ... I had the same problem and this worked!!

Unplug the Power Supply ... and switch off the PSU. In fact, unplug the PSU's main plug to the MOBO. Leave it like this for at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.

It worked for me on a laptop. I'm going to post this by itself in just a moment as I found the answer by using Google, but it was buried!