Thread: CPU Temps and Fluctuations

CPU Temps and Fluctuations

I built my PC this weekend and have it up and running.
    I still need to install updated drivers for the mobo.

Anyway, I have an AMD 64 x2 4200 and a Zalman 7000 hs/fan combo and an ASUS A8N sli Premium mobo.

I opened up the Asus PC Probe software to look at the temps and fan speeds, etc.

My CPU temp under no load would fluctuate btwn 34C to 60C in a matter of 10-15 seconds and go back down in the same amount of time. Why would the temps float like that and is the software to be trusted for accuracy.

My CPU fan is not being adjusted automatically, I have it plugged into the mobo directly so that it goes full speed all the time.

I do have a small issue with the rear 120 mm fan though. On start up, sometimes I have to give the fan a little nudge to get it going, and it seems to spin a little slow.

Any thoughts?

Check that your CPU heatsink is properly seated. Believe those are mounted by screws rather than spring clips. Pretty easy to get it off a bit. Did you use the proper amount of thermal paste? Also take a glance at your HSF when the temps shoot up to make sure it is turning. While back I had a Vantec HSF that periodically would stop, then restart..... Got rid of it pretty quickly.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Thanks mobo,
    You are correct that it is held by screws and you have to tighten them down evenly at the same rate.

If I go into my bios, the temps stay at CPU=34c, mobo=36c, GPU=45c. The temps don't float around in the bios, nor do the fluctuate in the Nvidia status program, the temps only do this in the ASUS PC Probe.

Granted, I haven't updated my BIOS nor my chipset drivers on the ASUS mobo, because I can't download anything from the web. This is because every 10-13 seconds my connection starts "Acquiring Network Address". I started a thread about it in the Networking forum

http://www.sysopt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189462

Sounds like a problem with Probe. Did you try to un-install and re-install? As to the auto update, I have never been able to get that to work with my Asus mobo. Had to flash the old fashion way, with a floppy.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Mayby try using a different program like MBM (you may have to download of a different computer and put onto CD)