Thread: "Global driver setting" on windows or the “application” controlled setting?

"Global driver setting" on windows or the “application” controlled setting?

Hi I’m wondering what is the use of using the windows graphics card display setting over the games’ own display setting, to fully understand please see image below:

I can see that if you set the ‘global driver settings’ settings to off you will be using more on performance settings rather than quality but what is the difference if you set the ‘global driver settings’ setting on windows to all “off” then on the games’ own display setting you will turn it all on? The difference I had is that when I turned all ‘global driver settings’ settings to off on windows and that I run the game with quality settings all on (anisotropic, texture quality etc.) I get faster game speed but if I “force” the ‘global driver settings’ settings on windows and turned all quality settings to “8x” the games goes very slow even if you turned down the games quality settings?

I’m just puzzled what’s the use of the display settings on windows, for example if turning all on and then turning all quality settings on the games’ display settings will that make the game much better looking? Will the quality of graphics double or 2x because you set the ‘global driver settings’ to all “8x” or “on” then setting the games display setting to all maximum too? As I cannot see any difference at all, and that if I set the ‘global driver settings’ to all “off” I get better performance and then I also get better quality graphics if at the same time I set the games details setting to high or maximum.

the higher you set the quality levels, the slower the game will be. if you can't tell the difference, then there is no point to enabling 8x AA or other settings to the max.

Some games you can get away with higher settings than others. if you can't appreciate the higher settings, then just leave it alone.

8X AA is a bit extreme anyway. 4X should clean up the picture but still leave the game playable. AF has less impact on your FPS so you can crank it up if you like to 8x or 16x.

I leave my vid card in application controlled for AA and then turn AF to what I want it at as AF seems to be a rare option in most games graphic options.

This method works pretty good though.
    Last edited by Rob R.; 02-19-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    the higher you set the quality levels, the slower the game will be. if you can't tell the difference, then there is no point to enabling 8x AA or other settings to the max.

Some games you can get away with higher settings than others. if you can't appreciate the higher settings, then just leave it alone.
    Thanks for the replies!

Yup I know enabling those settings on the 'global driver setting' on windows will make games look better, but what Im wondering about is why is that when every quality setting, (all quality setting not just anisotropic and anti-aliasing) in the 'global driver setting' is "forced" enabled and that the details setting on the game is not enabled the games runs slow, while when the 'global driver setting' is "forced" to off and that the game's detail setting is all turned to maximum the games looks better and runs at better speed. And that the difference in quality is just the same even if I turned the 'global driver settings' to "on" or "8x" does that mean if I turned both 'global driver setting' to 8x or "on" and also turned the game's details setting to maximum (the game's own anti-aliasing and anisotropic) will make the game double the grapihical quality or there is no difference?

The final question would be, whats the better adjustment to be done? "forced" adjust from the 'global driver setting' on windows or adjust the game's internal details setting? or both must be the same? cause if I turned all quality setting on the 'global driver setting' to "off" and then I adjust the games internal details setting to maximum (anisotropic, anti-aliasing, texture, environment) to maximum the games looks better too with a lot better fps rather than turning the details setting on the 'global driver setting'?