Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to O/C a Gateway

Need to O/C a Gateway

Bought a new fan and a silver thermal compound tube, now need some info on 'bout how much a Pentium 4 (2.00 Ghz) could be O/C'ed.... and a step by step guide how. Or a point in the right direction to one.

Best of CPU's and Overclocking

You ain't gonna get jack out of a Gateway. OEM systems are NOT OC friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyJobe
    Bought a new fan and a silver thermal compound tube, now need some info on 'bout how much a Pentium 4 (2.00 Ghz) could be O/C'ed.... and a step by step guide how. Or a point in the right direction to one.
    As stated above, you are not going to be able to get much if any overclocking out of a Gateway, Hp, Compaq or most dells. Prebuilt systems come with a modded Bios that does not allow any overclocking, the only possible way to overclock a prebuilt rig is VIA software clockgen, CPUFSB, CPUSOFT and so on, google those key words and youll find them, however Id suggest staying away from this kind of overclocking as it is not a stable way to increase performance.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Gateways do NOT overclock.

more to the point...

why would you want to OC a Gateway???

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Hmmm, to watch it go up in smoke faster?

Overclocking was an interesting experiment 10 years ago when a fast processor was 300 MHz and I could overclock it all the way up to 450 MHz. Who cares now that you can push a 200 MHz processor to 2200 MHz? It doesn't gain you anything useful except 1/20 of a second faster page refreshes.

Overclocking voids a manufacturers warranty. If you want to buy a new computer tomorrow, then overclock your old computer today.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyJobe
    Pin mods my friend, if your board supports 133 (533) bus, and you have a 2.0A Northwood, you MIGHT get 2.66GHz by modifying a few pins.

you seem to have already spent a bit of money on this growing hobby of yours. why not just go on ebay and buy a motherboard for a few bucks, or go here
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=13
    they have a few motherboards prettycheap or some other site, it would be much more worth while to get another motherboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle9MM
    you seem to have already spent a bit of money on this growing hobby of yours. why not just go on ebay and buy a motherboard for a few bucks, or go here
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=13
    they have a few motherboards prettycheap or some other site, it would be much more worth while to get another motherboard.
    if you change motherboards, will the harddrive and junk still work with it?

yah motherboard is just like a way to connect the system together, becase theirs somuch info it needs to have alot of enhancements etc...... if you swap out motherboards the system should be just as same as before.

yah motherboard is just like a way to connect the system together, becase theirs somuch info it needs to have alot of enhancements etc...... if you swap out motherboards the system should be just as same as before.
    This thinking is flawed completely. A new, non-oem motherboard in a Gateway, or any other mass-produced company's system will likely:

1. Negate any hard drive / disc recovery cd's that came with the system, likely including the operating system itself.

2. Bios, Hardware Application Layer (.hal) and Northbridge chipset differences will likely stem at least a recovery-level reinstall of the operating system. If the OS is contained only on the recovery partition or a Gateway recovery CD, you're likely including the purchase of a new copy of the operating system.

3. Warranty, if it was still under one, would be negated. It's an older cpu, so I'm assuming it's not under warranty.

4. Some manufacturer's power supplies are proprietary...special pinning on the connection to the mobo. Not sure if your Gateway or your model is or isn't, but a new psu may also be needed.

You won't be OCing that Gateway with any level of stability as mentioned in the prior posts. Best bet is to either purchase the mobo with expectations of a new os and application install, or buy a new rig. If you want to frankenstein your Gateway with outside parts, you're likely going to incur the same end-result spending as buying brand new regardless.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

that is the biggest load of **** i have ever heard, i have my motherboard at least 4 times and nothing has changed. stop trying to google answers you noob, you dont know nothing untill youve done it yourself. i mean of course you might have to make some adjustments, its part of the INSTALLATION of new equipment.
    Last edited by Jackle9MM; 04-15-2006 at 10:10 PM.

that is the biggest load of **** i have ever heard, i have my motherboard at least 4 times and nothing has changed. stop trying to google answers you noob, you dont know nothing untill youve done it yourself. i mean of course you might have to make some adjustments, its part of the INSTALLATION of new equipment.
    Ok you know. You could shut up and listen to reason. I really don't want to sound mean, but everything that Shoreguy just said is true. And yes, it's very difficult, if not impossible to OC a manufactured system with special made parts. and if you try and mod the system without proper adjustments to some of the hardware, you could possibly destroy certain components.

FYI, Your last comment sounds like a good reason to be flammed on this board. Be careful how you word your complaints.

I got called a noob
    I love you ! Thanks for making my Saturday!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]