Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need to O/C a Gateway

Congrats, Shoreguy!
    Kinda like being carded again!

BTW, what you said it what it is. I'm on an old Compaq right now and it has the typical user-unfriendly modular BIOS.
    Oh, and also a proprietary power supply connector.

Next will be splash screens that say "OK Moron, Sit Down and Shut Up"

i just recently, not 2 days ago pulled an AMD althon +3000 hard drive and graphics card out of a gateway and reinserted them into an ASUS motherboard. now explain to me, how all i had to do was start the computer to return it to the same exact format as it was before the shift, no changes. and also just as a PS i would sugest against flaming, it could get you banned
    btw i seriously dont want to offend here. i just was speaking from experience.

I see nothing wrong with what your doing to you MB, OC it. If it works thats fine if not then having spare parts always comes in handy. It is one way to see what works and wont work.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle9MM
    i just recently, not 2 days ago pulled an AMD althon +3000 hard drive and graphics card out of a gateway and reinserted them into an ASUS motherboard. now explain to me, how all i had to do was start the computer to return it to the same exact format as it was before the shift, no changes. and also just as a PS i would sugest against flaming, it could get you banned
    btw i seriously dont want to offend here. i just was speaking from experience.
    ok. yeah. I agree with the stuff about the video card, processor and hard drive. if you take those out and put them on another motherboard, that's fine. However, it's when you cross powersupplies and the Gateway case that you run into some problems. trying replace the motherboard in a manufactured system is bad news. Using the components other than the motherboard and powersupply from the system is perfectly fine though.

Also, no one here is flamming you. However, you shouldn't call a fellow sysoptian a noob either. That is a version of flamming.

A little will (along with some files, drill and saw work) will allow almost any (modern) powersupply to fit the larger proprietary cases. Just do some trial fitting with the other parts in place, mark the required cuts then drill and hack away.
    Its kinda fun seeing the looks on some people's faces when they see an old compaq or E-machine that runs like the proverbial ape. (You don't have to say whats inside).
    Enjoy!

the only flaming done was by jackle.
    "do it yourself instead of goggling answers"? you're straight tripping man, totally uncalled for. you don't know anything about shoreguy, and all his points are valid, just because they don't pertain to you, doesnt mean they arent possible.
    ever installed a sata hard drive? 1 of 3 systems i've done DONT need drivers, the rest do or they dont recognize the drive, and it's been totally random.
    i so pretty yes i am... pretty pretty dancing

Back to the original post...

HolyJobe -

Like others have said, OCing your gateway isn't going to be simple, if possible at all. The problem with manufactuers like gateway (and Dell, and all the others) is that the BIOS that comes with the computer dosen't allow changing the settings necessary for overclocking your system. If you bought a new motherboard that is compatible with your other system components then yes, you could probably OC the computer, but you have a new set of problems. The software that was included with your gateway (operating system, driver disc, any packaged software) will only run on a Gateway computer...with a new motherboard you would be losing your computers' Gateway 'identity'. By the time you go through the costs of a motherboard, possible PSU replacement, new operating system licence, and replacement software for anything you need, there is almost no way it will be cost effective for the little extra performance.

As far as any software overclocking is concerned I really don't know. I don't know what level of performance they can achieve, and at what risk to your computer.

What Jackle is talking about is totally different from what your looking for. Yes, you can pull components out of a gateway and have them run in another motherboard, but thats basicly building a new computer while salving parts from an old one. Sure, you could even probably jam them into a gateway case with a couple mods if you really wanted to. But if we are talking about buying a new motherboard, PSU, and operating system thats more of a rebuild than a simple Overclock job now isn't it?