Thread: Recommended 1Gb CAS2 DDR DIMMs?

Recommended 1Gb CAS2 DDR DIMMs?

Are there any makes of DDR memory that do 2Gb sets (2 x 1Gb DIMMS) that will still run at fairly agressive memory timings and anything at or just over PC3200 speeds?

I currently have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with 2x 512Mb Corsair twinX PC3200LLPro (2-3-2-6-T1). They will OC up to 420Mhz at those settings, but sometimes fail around 430Mhz. I'm not after a major OC, but a super-stable 5% with aggressive timings would be "nice".

I now want to upgrade to 2Gb memory - there's a few games (BF2) that would be better with it and some of the graphics work I've been doing recently is pushing the page-files pretty hard.

What memory do I go for?

I am looking to completely replace the existing memory.

I think the best bet would seem to be the Corsair PC3500 PC3500LLPRO (2-3-3-6-T1) @ 434Mhz.

This is where I'm looking:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?Recs=30&Nav=|c:1075|&Sort=1

(just 'cos they're down the road from my parents' house in Aurora, IL)

I'm not interested in the flashy LED's - in fact I'd rather have lower profile memory than the extra-height "Pro's". Bling is bad - the current LLPro's very nearly get in the way of my EVO120 cooler!

I'll consider pretty much anything if it is going to give me better stability with slightly overclocked, but very agressive memory timings.

Mushkin Redline? Mushkin XP? OCZ PT? Patriot EL? Patriot LL?

Corsair "Xpert" range it just too much bling and I'm pretty certain it won't fit.

Mushkin Redline seem awesome, but only if you crank the voltage WAY up and i'd prefer if I could avoid the extra active cooling.

Corsair PC3500LLPro seem the best fit for me (again) - it just seemed pretty lame to go for almost exactly the same memory as your last four systems have had without checking what else was out there.

Spec:
    AMD64 3500+ 5% o/c, 1Gb twinX3200LLpro (2-3-2-6-T1), ASUS nF4-SLI-Premium, Radeon X800XL, Raptor74 RAID0, NEC2080UX+
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    L O S T B O K
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    2500+ @ 11x200, 1Gb twinX (2-3-2-11), Radeon 9700PRO @ 342Mhz, Raptor74Gb.

Corsair makes 2x1024 kits. They work fine in my A8N-e (same mobo setup as yours minus the SLI). Per our shared manual however, only a couple makers will go over 2gb and still operate dual channel. Corsair isn't one of them. Kingston hyper-x will. Check your manual or the pdf version you can snag off the asus website.

edit: also check out sysopt's main page. usually the news here carries reviews of ram regularly. I've seen corsair's xms, kingston, etc. reviewed in the past few weeks.
    Last edited by Shoreguy; 05-03-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For the money, I'd probably go with the OCZ plats. Corsair is way overpriced. Patriot seems to have increased their pricing also. They used the be a really good deal.

GSkills are also solid.