Thread: Best method to password protect files?

Best method to password protect files?

Hi again folks!

I have some files (word and excel) that I need to protect with passwords. What is the best route to protect these files?

1. Is there a software that I should use to generate passwords?

2. Is there a software that will do a better job of “processing” these files and then generating a password to protect them?

Some of these files will be distributed via email and perhaps reside on emails (like yahoo for long long time) and as well distributed on disks that I will be burning. I plan to share passwords via phone.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bka1967; 02-18-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    The problem with password protected files is, if you lose the password, the files are dead and unusable.

Is it worth the risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling_Aug
    The problem with password protected files is, if you lose the password, the files are dead and unusable.

Is it worth the risk?
    Yes, I understand the risk of lost passwords. I need to protect the files that will be distributed, not the original files.

Thanks!

you need individual file protection or not? you could just use winzip or something similar and then add a password on the file.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    you need individual file protection or not? you could just use winzip or something similar and then add a password on the file.
    I do not understand the "individual file protection or not."

I do want to protect each file by a password. If you meant that.

I have used the option "use password to open" that is built in MS Word and Excel. However, a friend of mine told me that those passwords are easy to break.

So I thought if there was another option. I do not however want to zip them.

Thanks!

it's just like it sounds. if you don't want to use the native MS protection or a zip file, then you'd have to use a third party utility. all your users would have to have the same software also. I think you want to do a search for encryption, rather than a mere password if it is so important.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte
    it's just like it sounds. if you don't want to use the native MS protection or a zip file, then you'd have to use a third party utility. all your users would have to have the same software also. I think you want to do a search for encryption, rather than a mere password if it is so important.
    Sounds like a good idea!

I would look into a free encrypting/decrypting utility or see if there is one available at affordable price.

Encryption

You might want to look at something like this:

Truecrypt

Check out the FAQ here:

FAQ
    Last edited by dkm; 02-24-2006 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Link added

Well since your planning on sharing the passwords over the phone, I doubt you need anything serious. Using a password protected zip file, or rar file, is about as advance as you will need to get.

one of the members here "bassman", created an encryption program not too long ago! I did some beta testing for him & it looks like it will fit the bill.

I think there is a link around the site somewhere, I'll have a peek a bout and get back.

Quote Originally Posted by bka1967
    Sounds like a good idea!

I would look into a free encrypting/decrypting utility or see if there is one available at affordable price.
    Check this one: http://www.canudo.net/derelict/freesecurity

(new address)