Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can I use the same 25-digit Windows XP product key on the same system twice?

Can I use the same 25-digit Windows XP product key on the same system twice?

Hi,

Can I use the same 25-digit Windows XP product key that I used to install on a system two times on the same system?

I heard this rumour from my friends but I doubt it.

Is it true?

Yes. Depending on if it's an OEM disk or a retail, you'll have to call Microsoft once you activate it so many times (rebuild, reformat or addition of certain hardware). Don't have the exact number...

Why on earth wouldn't you be able to?

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    Yes of course you can use it on the same system. The call to Microsoft takes less than 5 mins. and you may not even have to talk to a human.

I have one case, in summer 2005 I used the product key on the sticker of my dad's laptop on a Windows XP experimental computer for product activation that I had and then I uninstalled Windows XP on that computer. But now I know that the product key on the product key sticker on my dad's laptop is now used.

Can my dad deal with Microsoft saying that he activated a copy of Windows XP on one computer and then rebuilt the system if he needs that product key?

Since the call to Microsoft may not be human, I heard a computer sometimes deal with the call, can my dad trick the computer into letting him use the product key?

Will Microsoft make the product key "unused" if an activated copy of Windows XP was uninstalled?

My dad's laptop was manufacturered by Toshiba, and it came with a system recovery disc. Will Toshiba system recovery discs ask for a product key? I have used HP/Compaq system recovery before and it doesn't ask for a product key.

I absolutely hated Microsoft Product Activation when it first came out with Windows XP.

My dad's Toshiba laptop came with Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1 (Toshiba OEM), then he upgraded it to Home Edition SP2 (using SP2 update from Windows Update). He never had to reinstall Windows XP.
    Last edited by Newbie2; 02-17-2006 at 05:13 PM.

Mod w/ an attitude Sterling_Aug's Avatar
    1.) Yes, he can talk to a human and explain that the OS was uninstalled on one PC and used for a different PC.

2.) You can't trick anything. It depends on how you answer the questions, you may get kicked over to a human and then explain what happened. I have yet to get denied an activation code after talking to a Microsoft rep.

3.) The recovery CD should ask for the product key. That is why you have the sticker on the PC.

Does it mean my dad can convince the Microsoft people to give him another code when he needs it?

Why would he need another code? They will give him a number to enter to activate the OEM XP he already has...

As Sterling said...I've yet to be denied myself. I had to call three times in one year because I kept swapping hardware/upgrading my rig...and each time I explained I'm a system builder, it is only installed on this ONE PC...and it was no problem. As said, it's a 5 minute phone call.

Just be honest with them, and you'll be fine. It's not like the IRS or a MS Swat team will swoop into your house and raid it...

If you hate the product activation so much of XP, go get an open source OS that is not mainstream and barely has any support if at all, and learn how to use a PC all over again. There are a ton of free Linux distros that are free, easy to install...and you'll never have to worry about a 5 minute phone call...

If you hate the product activation so much of XP, go get an open source OS that is not mainstream and barely has any support if at all, and learn how to use a PC all over again. There are a ton of free Linux distros that are free, easy to install...and you'll never have to worry about a 5 minute phone call...
    Agreed! I have also never been denied an activation code, or heard of such. And even if you must talk with a human, the toll free call is less than 5 minutes.

Funny to hear the griping about Microsoft's WPA that only enforces the EULA that every consumer agrees to honor. And as dajogejr says, there are open source alternatives to Windows and Microsoft.

If I want a new activation code activating Windows XP over the phone is better?

What do you do in Windows XP phone activation? I heard you read a 50-digit number on the screen and then the Microsoft guy dealing with you will read back a 42-digit number to type down and then you have an activated copy of Windows XP?

Quote Originally Posted by Newbie2
    If I want a new activation code activating Windows XP over the phone is better?

What do you do in Windows XP phone activation? I heard you read a 50-digit number on the screen and then the Microsoft guy dealing with you will read back a 42-digit number to type down and then you have an activated copy of Windows XP?
    Look...stop worrying about this.

IF you have to install XP again, first, see if it denies your activation. If it does, then it gives a number to call. You will get an electronic menu of selections, most of the time, it will go just fine and it will read you back (electronically) the code to put in to reactivate windows.

IF...and that's a big IF, you do get to a human, just explain to them what happened, and they wll GLADLY give you the code to reactivate it.

NO...it is best to activate it electronically without having to make a phone call...but, if you do have to phone home, it's not a big deal at all.

Stop worrying about it untill you actually have to do it...if you even have to again...

Quote Originally Posted by missiveusa
    Funny to hear the griping about Microsoft's WPA that only enforces the EULA that every consumer agrees to honor.
    Well, when you live in Fiji and have to call Australia AT YOUR OWN *VERY GREAT* PERSONAL EXPENSE (due in part to Fiji's telecom monopoly and VERY expensive long distance costs) just because you try to be legit and like to tinker with your hardware, griping may just be justified.
    FijiJohn

Can I always get activated with the phone activation method?

After the Microsoft guy on the phone gives me the 42-digit code that I type down, do I need to type down the 25-digit activation code that is on the sticker?

I want the answer to that question, not another answer that won't answer the question.

Well...smart guy, if you actually read my post, I told you EXACTLY how it will happen.
    When you go to Activate it, you will have a choice to send it via the Internet (dial up or broadband, however you connect) which is the default option checked, OR you can check activate over the phone.

You didn't say you WANTED to activate over the phone, you asked if it was better.

You will not get a NEW 25 digit code. Where in this post are you reading that?

I think this post is getting old, and you're stirring a pot for no reason at all...stop wasting all our time...

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoft
    The installation ID records an association of the product ID to your computer and a confirmation is sent back. The product key can now be used to install Windows on that computer an unlimited number of times. However, if you need to install Windows on a different computer using that product key, you might need to contact a Microsoft customer service representative by telephone.
    I recovered the original product key on my dad's laptop using this little tool (Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v1.41) that Toshiba used to activate the Windows XP on my dad's laptop. The thing that Microsoft said is that the product key can be used over and over again on the same computer.

WHAT A RELIEF!

Though my dad doesn't know that a person can use the same product key on the same machine over and over again.

Why would you need to use the jellybean finder when you said it is on a sticker (the OEM sticker) already on your dad's laptop...

Now this is starting to sound fishy....