Thread: Headsets...Grrrrr

Headsets...Grrrrr

Ok...I'm getting ready to buy a new set. Here's my dilema:

Sennheiser PC 150 Approximately $40
    Sennheiser PC 160 Approximately $69-99
    Medusa 5.1 $123.50

Sennheiser...my traditional favorites. Love the cup earphones and the comfort of the whole rig lets me play for days on end without remembering that I've got phones on. Problem is, most places seem to be out of stock for the next week, and I don't feel like paying shipping/handling.

Medusa 5.1 $123.50 shipped from the UK is still rather hefty in price
    ----Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty sound card....do I really wanna shell out that much for a headset I still need to place an amplifier inbetween my grape and the box? Is the quality that apparent?

I'm rather pulled to these three, as Tom's did a review about 9 months ago:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...mers_can_love/

Anyone got suggestions of head-to-head equals???
    Should I just give up the ghost and go with quality headphones and a separate microphone?

Thanks in advance
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My wife and I both use Plantronics Audio 90 headsets and we both like them. They are comfortable with good sound and a good mic.

Expect to pay more like $40 for them at your local CompUSA or Fry's. The linked ones are OEM.

hmm... no headset can ever replace a good old real 5.1 500watt (or better) speakers

asides the fact headsets makes your head and ear unconfortable after roughly 30 min
    i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, VG278H(3x27")+3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(x2), OCZ ZX1250W, 256GB Vertex4(x2), Seagate 3TB(x5), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600, Z560THX, T.Flight Hotas, PZ35, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5

Quote Originally Posted by AllGamer
    hmm... no headset can ever replace a good old real 5.1 500watt (or better) speakers

asides the fact headsets makes your head and ear unconfortable after roughly 30 min
    I don't know if you have ever heard someone talking into a cheesy desktop microphone with a 500 watt 5.1 set up blasting in the background, let me just tell you it's completely worthless. All you manage to do is annoy the heck out of anyone who has to listen to it.

Sennheiser PC 160 are really good iv used then many times as my
    brother has them.
    sounds allmost as good as my HD 515's and he's never had a problem with the mic.

2nd vote for Plantronics Audio 90...got a pair several months ago and although they looked cheap....they turned out to be perfect for online gaming and listening to music..Really liked the mute button and volume control

Thanks much! I'm still leaning towards going with the Medusa's...trusting the limey's could work out. If not, I may just give the plantronics a go. If I don't like 'em, I can always get a refund

For the time being, I've got a set of cheapies. I've got a new build I'm putting these on, and I'm holding off until I get the burn-in and config tweaked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I figured that the mic was almost worthless to me, so i bought the Sennheiser HDR-116 Wireless headphones. No more Cord Rollover!

Ultimate Member _Mystical_Night's Avatar
    Dude just go with some Logitech Premium 350's u can get them for around $20 on ebay thats what I use and im very happy with them

here are some user reviews on it