Thread: Is this really overclocking?

Is this really overclocking?

Just put a machine together from old parts. Found my old KR7A-RAID board to be bad so bought a Foxxconn 748K7AA (Sis748 chipset) ~34 bucks. All one can do is change the FSB settings - no voltage or multiplier.

I put an AMD XP 2000+ (thoughbred B) and set the speed to 165 (~330) and set the memory (crucial 2100) to 1:1 (also at 165 = ~330).

The system boots, and windows (new install, no customization, yet) runs fine. System says it is running AMD XP 2600+. Memtest86+ seems to check out. The wierd thing is that the temps are not changing (not getting hotter)!

Is this thing really overclocking? Am I putting these parts (processor and memory) at risk of damage?

Thanks Much

it sounds like it is overclocking. run some benchmarks and see what your scores are with the stock settings and your overclocked settings.

of course you are putting the parts at risk. that's the nature of the OC game.

OK, what is the risk factor? If the parts are all running fine, then do they wear out faster when oc'ed? Or is the risk when you are doing the initial oc'ing experiments to find the max settings? If the XP 2000+ and crucial 2100 parts are not getting to hot, then what is the issue I should be aware of?

When I complete the customization then I will try the benchmarks.

Thanks Much

anytime you run something out of spec, you risk the chance of damaging it. you're probably cutting the lifespan of the part. If you're overclocking, you should have known the risks before you started.

Best of CPU's and Overclocking

...and you find out by reading and asking questions like this. It makes sense that it would strain the parts, although it may last 15 years instead of 20, depending on the conditions of the overclocking. When experimenting, you could blow the part out right then and there. There has been enough OC samples to come up with a reasonable risk factor. What you say makes sense and in a way is obvious - however, my question was, is running an AMD XP2000+ which is a 266 (133) CPU at 333 (165 in this case ~ 330) taxing it too much? Possible answers: My Gosh! Are you crazy? ...or... do not start to worry until you get around 400 (200) ...or.. etc... The same with the memory.

I really do appreciate your answers though!
    Thanks Much

Ultimate Member
    The risks, while still there, are fairly low when you're overclocking but leaving the voltages alone. Its the combination of increased voltage and overclocking that can get risky. On that same note, it is not uncommon for temps not to change or change very little if all you do is slightly increase the speed but leave voltage alone. Again, its the combination of the two that yeilds a significant temperature increase.

One thing you should be made aware of however is data curruption. I'm not positive but I do not believe that chipset has an AGP/PCI lock. What that means is that your PCI and AGP bus are running significnatly out of spec.