Thread: I replaced the power supply on my old

I replaced the power supply on my old

PC the other day. When I turned it on...nothing. No lights, no sounds, no beeps. I removed the MB from the case and all the cards and things. Just a video card memory and CPU (old XP2000). Still got nothing. No post up or anything. I figure the motherboard is bad or the CPU. What do you think? Any hope this thing or not. I am open to suggestions.

Oh, the power supply and the video card are not the problems

830 PC Chips
    XP2000 Pally
    Windows 2000
    512 generic memory

Thanks

i would look if you have bad caps
    http://www.badcaps.net/

I gave the board a good look and didn't find anything that looked suspicious (no bulging caps). It is an old board, but it has worked well for many years. After reviewing the beeps codes in the stickys, I am guessing tha the board has had it. I was just looking for other opinions and suggestions. I guess I will be shopping for an inexpensive replacement. If you have any other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm in a similiar boat and have found it nearly impossible to find stock and reasonable pricing on socket A boards.

Man! YOur not kidding. I think I could sell this old 2000XP for more than what I paid for it. Just try and find one on the internet. They are becoming rare. However, I think I am going to order this board. It's cheap and seems to have a pretty good rep. Comments?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186061

Newegg must have a dozen socket A MBs for <$50. I used the rock bottom PCchips M811U with an old XP1700 and spare ram and it's been running like a champ. Sounds like you don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles so no need to part with too much cash.

Alot of things could have happened while replacing that power supply. I would first clear the c-mos using the jumper on pins 2-3 for a few seconds with the power supply unpluged and with the power supply header removed from the mother board. Return the c-mos jumper to pins 1-2 and plug the header back in checking for a firm engagement. Put in the video card and a stick of ram and short the power switch pins together and see if you get post. If you have more than one stick of ram, try swaping them out to see if you get post with one and not the other. Could be a bad stick. Also make sure the old power supply and the new one have all the same connections to the motherboard. Some have a second 4 pin power header as well as the larger common one. Hope one of these suggestions gets it done for you.

What prompted you to replace the psu in the first place? Bsod's or freezing up? Mabey something else happened and the psu was a secondary problem. Is the hsf fan still spinning freely and clean? Any signs of the processor overheating? Make sure the hsf fan lead is pluged into the proper m/b fan header as sometimes this will prevent a post if there is no fan rpm sensed.

No. I replaced the PSU in my primary computer (a 300 Forton) with a 550 Antec. The psu in the blown computer is a generic LOUD unknown brand. I'm sure that the forton is a a better psu since it has powered my main machine for the last two years (2600 moblie clocked at 2400 mHz, two hard drives, two optical drives, 9600 XT, etc.). It is also very quiet. This PC will be in a bedroom, so noise is not wanted.

The fans run and that's all. I've tried two different video cards and two different sticks of memory. Cleared the Cmos several times. Still nothing. I figure it's just dead.

You say it an old system. The ATX spec has changed over the years. Some PSU's you find today are not compatible with older ATX motherboards.

GrowingSlowly-

When you had the motherboard out of the case and were testing to see if it would boot. Did you make sure that the videocard that you were using was properly seated? All of the add-on cards that you installed must be checked for proper alignment or it would short out the motherboard making it appear dead.

LPTECH

Yep. The video card is good. I tested the system with another chip and it booted just fine. I have order another cpu and should be up an running in a few days. Of all the things, the last I suspected was the cpu.