Thread: Best Wi-Fi adapter?

Best Wi-Fi adapter?

Would I be better off going with a PCI or USB wi-fi adapter for my desktop? Any manufacturer suggestions? Thanks

Either is fine I suppose. The USB adapter would give you some options down the road, tho it will use a USB port (don't know how many your PC has).

Do check the specs before buying. We've recently rolled out WPA2 for our wireless connections and quite a few users had cards that supported WPA. Some were update to apply firmware/driver updates to private support but many were not.

I'm using a D-Link DWL-G510 card and it's been very good. The setup is easy.
    I just plug in security settings, channel, SSID and it auto-detects my network.

Was considering Linksys but the D-Link was on rebate at the time.

Oh, had to add a Zonet ZWA2006 antenna to improve signal strength. It has to shoot through 2 sheetrock walls and the remote antenna makes a huge difference.

A good USB adaptor has to be at least 802.11g, which means that you need a USB2 port on your computer.

If you do not have a USB2 than go with PCI.

If you do have USB2 than it depends on the environment.

Read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#wcard

My current preference in USB or PCI is Buffalo Tech. Otherwise any WPA2 capable Brand name would do.

Those new Zyxel USB Wi-Fi adapters look very curious. Supposedly they can act as a dectector *and* be used as a WAP *and* be used as a wireless card.
    Go figue
    The only thing left is to add in some memory.

I bought this card and am very happy with it. Price was right and it pulls in a stronger signal than my netgear card. The external antenna works really well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833194001