Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking Troubles. HELP!!!

Overclocking Troubles. HELP!!!

I have an evga geForce 6600 graphics card. I've been reading reviews saying 6600s have really good core overclocking capabilities. The default frequencies are 300 core, 500 ram. So I started safely overclocking it, going up by 10 mhz on the core. I repeat this until I get to 360mhz core, 515mhz memory. I run 3dmark 05 and in the middle of the test my computer freezes for about 10 seconds then restarts. No errors, wierd artifacts on screen or anything. So I tried it again, it froze up again. This time when my computer booted up I got an error. This is what the error report said : http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response...a03701f&SID=11

I only get this error every once and a while when my pc restarts. I could just not overclock it, but I really don't want that

Here are my specs:
    Abit ag8-v mobo
    P4 3.4 ghz lga 775
    evga geforce 6600 (8.98 drivers)
    1.5 gig of ultra ram

I know it's not a cooling issue because I have a pci dual fan card sitting right under my video card.

Sorry for the long post. Someone please help me!!!

what kind of load temps are you getting?

what do you mean a pci dual fan? is it feeding air to the card? if you mean one of those blowers, then it might be cutting the air supply for the gpu heatsink fan. there is a specific antec fan pulls air into the case.

Try un-installing your vid card drivers and then re-installing them. O'cing can cause corruption to files.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

I have one of those dual fan things that blow on the card. I tried uninstalling the drivers and using a driver cleaner utility, but that didn't work

what are load temps?

Did you try re-loading your mobo drivers also?

load temps are the temperatures of your video card when you are running an application, like a game or 3dmark. you can use rivatuner to monitor that.

if you mean a fan card with 2 70 or 80mm fans blowing onto the card, then take it out. you are disrupting the airflow for the gpu fan. if anything, try putting the fan card on the back side of the card instead.

I ran 3d mark 05 with no oc and the pci fan thing turned off. The hightest core temp was 76C. Then I oc'd to 340 core, 515 memory and got 78C. At idle with no oc it runs at around 60C. I haven't tried reloading mobo drivers yet, how do I do that?
    Last edited by timmage89; 01-20-2006 at 10:21 PM.

here's a pic of my fan, if that helps : http://images.tigerdirect.com/skuima...e/V13-4200.jpg

Your card idles at 60? that's kind of high. stock 6600 cooling isn't that great to begin with. you probably have warranty on it, but you might consider upgrading to a zalman vf700 later.

60mhz over stock is about a 20% OC already. each card has different tolerances, but the temperature does affect it.

yeah, that's the card i thought you had. my friend had that next to his 6800GT and it really messed up the airflow.

with my pci fan on full blast it idles at 54C. I don't think temp. is the issue because I only got a 2 degree increase when i oc'd to 340 core. When I oc to 360 it should only bring the temp up a total of 3 degrees from the no oc temp. When re-loading mobo drivers do i have to completly remove the old ones first, or do i just update? And if i have to remove them, how do i do that???

ARRRRGGGHHH!!! Now my comp is freezing even when I don't oc. WTF!!!!!!!

Ok, let's hope you didn't smoke your card. First, did you re-install your mobo drivers like I suggested????? Does ctrl+alt+del reboot it?
    Oc'ing can cause problems to your drivers.
    My suggestion (final):
    1. Do a repair install of Windoze.
    2. Re-install your mobo drivers (most mobos you don't have to remove them).
    3. Go into save mode and remove your video drivers.
    3. Go into reguloar mode and re-install your video drivers.
    DO IT IN THIS ORDER. This will eliminate a driver issue. Remember, video, cpu's, etc, each will oc to a different level. You may have a card that just is not a good over-clocker and you may have borked it. You are suppose to oc to the point of a crash then back off 10mz or so from there. Trying to keep it at the top speed can cause problems and ruin your equipment. While your software may be reporting acceptable temps, you could have a "hot spot" on your gpu that caused a part of it to cook. Stock coolers and thermal grease/pads suck.
    I never use the latest and greatest driver until it has been out for a while. Some of the video drivers released in the past actually caused more harm then good. For a start, I'd go with the drivers that came on the disk with the card, then update from there.

Final thought, does your card warranty cover oc'ing? Most void the warranty if you do.

Edit: Addition, your mobo drivers should have come on a disk with your mobo. Try doing step one, then see if the system still freezes. If so try booting to safe mode. If it boots and does not freeze, it is most probably a driver issue. Install your mobo drivers in safe mode.
    Last edited by mobo57; 01-22-2006 at 11:14 PM.

ill try doin a repair install of windws.

and my pc doesn't freeze when it's starting up, it freezes only when im plaing games for about 30 mins. every once and a while it freezes when im surfin the net or just doin something on the desktop.
    Last edited by timmage89; 01-26-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Time to RMA the vid card. Looks like you cooked it. Hopefully there won't be any problems.