Thread: strange problem

strange problem

hi

im having a strange problem with my computer.

It all started when i switched from a genric/ultracheap power supply/case to an antec overture htpc case

the computer seems to lose video and halfway shut off but it doesnt restart it just hangs there with the video off not doing anything but spin all the fans this happens anytime in windows when im booting up when im in the bios sometimes its happens over and over again and sometimes it doesnt happen for weeks
    i have to manually reboot after this happens

ive tried running another powersupply on it and theres the same problem also temps are good 40/40 full load

i ran the mobo outside the case for a few hours and it managed to stay on the whole time but soon after i put it back in the case it started happening again

and its totally weird sometimes it will work fine for a week then the problem will spring back up again
    sometimes after it craps out i cant get it started again(it starts but no video) but if i unplug the usb connections out of the back of the motherboard( only the mobo usb connections) it will start again ....sometimes it just starts up again fine.. i couldnt fit the backplate for the motherboard into this case ? could it maybe be somekind of grounding issue?i have no clue

ive brought it in to a computer store and sure enough it runs fine for the whole time it was there but somethings definatly wrong

anytime ive ran it out of the case it seems to run fine but i havent tested that for days and the problem is so random its hard to tell ..as far as i can tell there is nothing shorting anything inside the case

i thought i had this problem fixed allready by buying a better power bar but a month later it reared its ugly head.

heres my specs

MSI k8n neo3 nforce4 motherboard
    athlon 64 3200/1gig corsair value
    msi rx800 pci ex video card
    2x200gb maxtor daimondmax sata drives
    sound blaster x fi extrememusic
    haupauge tvr 150 tuner

the usb connection i have to unplug to get it to reboot with video (like 2or3 out of the 10 times it happens)is the reciever for snapstream firefly remote ive just recently figured this out though and tryed plugging it into the msi usb bracket instead.... if my computer is still on when i get home from work in 8 hours i think i might of finally found my problem

thanks for any help
    Last edited by eazyt; 01-18-2006 at 03:36 PM.
    procrastinang and masturbating are two of the same

it feels good for the time being but in the end your just ****ing yourself

The thing that stands out to me is your lack of a mobo backplate (I/O shield)

There are "little fingers" that brush the outside of the ports to ground them to the case, on the backplate. This is one of those often-ignored but necessary items.

Try to find one that will fit.

Regards,
    JF

Really

wow.just to report too i just got home from work and since from moving the usb reciever from the mobo ports to the usb bracket my computer is still running 8 hours later

thanks ill just have to find a way to shave 1/4 inch of the bottom of my backplate
    procrastinang and masturbating are two of the same

it feels good for the time being but in the end your just ****ing yourself