Thread: Introducing Black Mesa: Source

Ultimate Member

Introducing Black Mesa: Source

http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Loosk ot be the game HL:S Should have been

...if this does actually make it to the light of day i will, literally, jump for joy

--Jakk

Jak... one question.. In what way???

I'm not as hip and I donotdo alotof modding and such..but I still contend that HL1 was wshat it was and HL2 is what it is.... There aer plenty ofmods and personal changes..fommapping andmodels and such to add and redo..ect.ect.. out there somewhere. The amemakers seemtoallowfor whomever of us to implement what suits us...and make our own..if we so choose..

Last night for instance i was playingon a CSS server that obviously did just this... again not beingas creative and time endearing as those who make thier little addons and mods... andtidbits here and there.. I dofind it facinating as tothe possibilities that might occur if given these creative juices...

Its obvious you like and prefer the origianal concepts parlayed in HL1. ..and thats fine. I liked HL2 far better for allit offered. More storyline..much better models and rendering and the fact it should be a fun game for just abouot anybody to play..regardless if yor good at FPS or not. Always thogh are roomfor improvements and something differnt in each of our own eyes..but not wanting to sweell thier heads any more than oviously already are.......; They did an outstanding job overall.

I cannot wait for future addonsand the storylines to follow as with Aftermath or whatever.... Somuch they can do with this source engine its obvious... and thierworking on it i'm sure. LOL
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

i think all jak was saying is that this mod will be better than what valve released as half life 1 with the source engine

OK
    Phenom 2 X4 B35 :ASRock N68C-S UCC: G Skill DDR1333 ( 4GB ): ATI Radeon HD6770 1GB : Logitech X504 5.1 SS speakers.:WD 500GB,&300GB Sata2 HD's ; Liteon Lightscribe 24X DVD/combo Drive : Antec 620C neo PSU: CTL 22"WS

Looks interesting, but will be awhile (1-1/2 - 2 yrs in all they figure)

Ultimate Member
    It wouldnt suprise me if Valve picked this up at some stage in the development, they sound quite willing to let the production continue in its already much publicised form (where other companies such as EA would have stamped on it the moment it was even concieved - ala the SS2 Mod for Doom 3), and judging by the renders and my time spent poking around the forum this is going to be a production of the highest quality.

If Valve were to pick this up it woudl probably see a great acceleration in Development time (it's my understanding that ATM the biggest stumbling block is implementing some of the AI features they want, and you dont get many talented AI programmers wandring about the free mod community).

Even if it doesnt get picked up though, i'll be quite happy to wait as long as need be for HL to get the treatment it deserves (and should have gotten from Valve nearly a year ago)

--Jakk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigjakkstaffa
    Even if it doesnt get picked up though, i'll be quite happy to wait as long as need be for HL to get the treatment it deserves (and should have gotten from Valve nearly a year ago)

--Jakk
    Here here, this looks like it would do HL some justice, it looks stunning.

Ultimate Member
    It's good to see theyre actually putting serious effort into it, remodelling skins and textures, adding new sound effects and altering the original gameplay and design at the suggestions of the wider community of HL players. In short, theyre not begin lazy and simply loading the old HL maps into the Source engine and then charging a tenner a pop for it, as Valve did with HL:S

--Jakk

Nifty! if it makes it to steam, I will be buying it

Quote Originally Posted by MadPistol
    Nifty! if it makes it to steam, I will be buying it
    Me too

So whats the deal.. ?, is this going to be some sort of mutiplayer game or another open end single player thing??

Its like anything else.. you start off with and idea and workon it and make it nice..and hopefully it catches on and then some serious more work will go into it...
    I'm not a designer..nor a game modeler..but it must take gads of time and energy to do so many things and projects at the same time..and still make them all work and look good.
    Since i myself am so impressed at graphics in computer related gaming and such anyways.. you probably won't hear too much critical harping from me aobut results orlack thereof..... Just a dumbfounded bloke who likes to reap the benefits of thier hard works..LOL

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitrunner51
    So whats the deal.. ?, is this going to be some sort of mutiplayer game or another open end single player thing??
    The Half Life 1 Single Player and Muliplayer games completely recoded and transformed for the advanced technology of the Source engine. We're talking new textures, decals, models, weapons, audio, level design - the works. A true overhaul of the original HL.

Valve had promised to do this with HL:S but ultimatley failed in the fact that all they did was transfer the existing HL code, as is, into the Source engine, without making any updates or changes to the gameplay, graphics etc.

--Jakk