Thread: I need input for the BEST Satellite Radio provider!

I need input for the BEST Satellite Radio provider!

Calling ALL Techno NERDS!,

I am prepared to go satellite radio. I make a 120 mile roundtrip drive for work each day a can not stand another minute of commercials. My choices are slim. I suppose it is between XM and Sirius. I have NO experience, so I am asking for yours. Any input will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    rounder (a Techno nerd wannabe)
    Once you Newegg, You Know!

Try listening to public radio. It's a real "ear opener".

I'm told that Sirius is the best, but that's from a guy who never actually used XM. Take it for what it's worth.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Sirius is my personal pick. 120 channels including talk radio, sports, entertailment, weather alert. trucker help channel, and ofcourse Howard Stern begining in Jan. Service is $12.95 per month on a month by month basis. A year commitment will drop the monthly to $9.99. Or you can choose the one-time payment of $499.99 for a lifetime subscription. The Sportster Replay is one of the better receivers with a 44 minute record time so you can play back your favorite song that came on 5 songs ago, or use it to "pause" the baseball game you are listening to while you get gas and come right back to where you left off when you return. It retails for $149.99 with a $50.00 mail-in rebate as well as a $25.00 gift card to your local rat shack.

BPB,

How have you been? Long time, huh? NPR has been my mainstay radio companion. When the heavy liberal bias makes me cringe, I switch to local stations...mostly country, but I will listen to everything but c-RAP.

It's the commercials that have motivated me to actually spend money to listen to commercial free music. I made the move years ago to cable...I guess I can give it a try at radio. 120 miles a day...Good advice though. Well...one satisfied Sirius vote. Thanks!

Canyon411,

Thanks for your detailed input and vote for Sirius. I'm a BIG NASCAR fan and Sirius is a sponsor...we NASCAR fans are big supportors of any sponsors!

Still up for more input!

rounder

BPB,

How have you been? Long time, huh? NPR has been my mainstay radio companion. When the heavy liberal bias makes me cringe, I switch to local stations...mostly country, but I will listen to everything but c-RAP.

It's the commercials that have motivated me to actually spend money to listen to commercial free music. I made the move years ago to cable...I guess I can give it a try at radio. 120 miles a day...Good advice though. Well...one satisfied Sirius vote. Thanks!

Canyon411,

Thanks for your detailed input and vote for Sirius. I'm a BIG NASCAR fan and Sirius is a sponsor...we NASCAR fans are big supportors of any sponsors!

Still up for more input!

rounder

Bill, I like the seasonal touch you added to the "head-banger". Gets me in the critmit spirit!

There are good public stations and bad ones. Pacifica is as bad as Rush and company - they are both too extreme for me. Talk about commercials and I think of the Clear Channel stations. They have about 30 minutes per hour of ads.

Here in Houston, we have an excellent station in KUHF. They play classical music all day and feature standard NPR programs in the mornings, evenings and on weekends. It's great stuff.
    MS MCP, MCSE

Not enough classical in KC. NPR is on blues based stations, and that's OK...but I truly love the music that will live forever. I started my son listening to it when he studied. I had heard that it stimulated the brain and made memory recollection better. Not sure of the statistics on that, but he does have an appreciation, at 18 years old, of what REAL music is.

rounder.. I have had Sirius for over two years now. Absolutely love it. Only problem I ever have is going under big bridges or tunnels. Also, I got the home module, finding a good spot for the antenna took a bit of work.
    I take the car module with me when I travel. Has the FM transmitter. Old tech but works great in the rental cars including Canada.
    Sound quality can some times sound digitized, I have a top of the line Harmon Kardon sound system in my car, but given the options, I can't complain.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

mobo57,

Thanks, for your input. You bring up another issue. What is the best hardware?

Keep it coming, all. I think this is an upcoming technology, be it that no one wants to pay for radio, that will be of interest to many.

rounder

Hate to say it but you just have to go and see whats out there. I have an old receiver that has a docking station on top of my dash and plugs into a docking station at home. I've seen newer stuff that includes iPod type receivers and boom boxes. Shop around for whats best for you.
    Profanity: a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly.
    http://www.thegopnet.com

Yeah...I've done some of that, but I-Net shopping is dealer info and mall shopping is retailer info. I'm just hoping to learn what I can from someone who's been there.

I really appreciate everything I receive from you SysOp's.

Thanks,
    David