Thread: NForce3 VS NForce4 chipset

NForce3 VS NForce4 chipset

Is there a noticable difference to the eye with regard to 3D graphics and these to chipsets?

Been away for awhile, good to be back...

Is PCI-E the only difference?

performance wise...not much difference at all. Mainly just the change from AGP to PCI-E...had both.

No, the NF3 is limited to a 600HT bus. Get the NF4.

Thanks Midknyte, I built a system for a friend and had to use his AGP card, so I was stuck with NForce3. I don't think the guy will complain since the system is running great.
    The graphics card will make the difference in this case.

No, the NF3 is limited to a 600HT bus.
    The MSI K8N Neo2 and EPoX 9NDA3 boards both run 1000 MHz HT. In benchmarks, the nForce3 Ultra chipset runs neck and neck with the nForce4 Ultra (non-SLI). The nF3 is a great chipset for those of us who still have high end AGP graphics cards and can't or won't drop $300-550 to switch to PCI-E for a negligable performance gain. However, I see Newegg is still offering only one nF3-based board, by EPoX.

I still have 2 perfectly good socket A cpu's, but alas the motherboard is atleast 3yrs old and becoming a little temperamental.
    For the last 4mths I have been trying to replace it with the same nF2 gigabyte M/B. or any reasonable brand, I wanted to keep the nF2 chipset .
    There are non to be had in this country, I am forced to upgrade to nF3 or nF4, buy new a cpu and video cards, when I would have been satisfied with an A$100 M/B.
    The computer is only for general purpose, and the occasional game demo when the Grandkids visit, the old 128mb Ti4600 is just about adequate.
    Thanks for the information, time to begin searching for the parts for my imminent upgrade to nF4. I have been happy with the nForce chipset
    Last edited by werz; 12-26-2005 at 03:05 AM.